Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New computer turns off randomly

• Please log in to reply

ohsnapbrook

ohsnapbrook

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am new to this type of stuff, so cut me some slack if I forget to put information in my post.

I bought a Gateway in February, and in April it started turning off randomly on its own until one day it turned off for good, and eventually after restarting it various times I received the BSOD. I brought it to Geek Squad because I bought it at best buy, and they replaced the hard drive at no cost. Now it's happening again (right on schedule, two months later).. and I haven't received the BSOD yet, but it's giving me the warning signs like what happened before. :)

Not sure if this is helpful at all but the Hard Drive they replaced was a Western Digital 1 TB HD.

I'm running Windows Vista Home Premium x64.. I also have ran Spybot Search & Destroy in safe mode, and it was able to fix all of the problems it found. I also have NOD32 Antivirus.

One more issue - I can't download anything, so if you're going to forward me to something to download I won't be able to do it. Anytime I download something it disappears, and I've searched the entire drive and nothing. It shows it download, but won't let me open the containing folder or anything. I've even changed the destination of download to my desktop, and still I see it there, then I see it vanish. Sometimes I'll get a "partially" downloaded icon, that I can't delete because it says it's nonexistent, too. Oh fun.

Thank you for your assistance, if you need any more information please let me know. :)

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Your best bet is take an advantage of the warranty.