Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

FLash Drive not working HELP

• Please log in to reply

RainR.

RainR.

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My flash drive wont turn on, Its a cruzer Sandisk 4GB, and its been working ever since i got it, but just today, the computer wouldnt read it, so i tried it on another computer, and so far, no computer has picked it up.

I had really important information on there, most of it was backed up onto Cd, but not all of it, is there anyway i can save it somehow?

Advertisements

Johnny Tootall

Johnny Tootall

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
It might be broken. If your flash memory is broken, then there is no way to recover the files. Maybe there’s something (dirt or dust) stuck in the USB connecter?

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Hi RainR., and welcome :) to Geeks to Go.

I do not like to be the bearer of bad news, but unfortunately your jumpdrive is corrupted.

If you would like to test if it is corrupted or not, then please test it on another computer. If it is confirmed to be corrupted, then I suggest a replacement.

How to avoid jumpdrive (flash drive) issues in the future:

• When using a jumpdrive, remember that it is a storage drive only. It is not like a mini hard drive, contrary to public opinion. What a jumpdrive cannot do is Cache. Jumpdrives are not powerful enough to run a file from its location on the jumpdrive. Therefore, when wanting to open a file, drag it to your desktop and then open it. Do not open it from your jumpdrive.
  • Never ever let a jumpdrive be removed from the system without unmounting it (right click and select Eject or Unmount) or Safely Removing it (System tray icon).
  • Do not let a system restart with the jumpdrive in. If needed, remove it immediately when the system changes over from shutdown back to boot.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
DragonMaster Jay

You missed a part. He already checked it on another computer.

so i tried it on another computer, and so far, no computer has picked it up

I have heard that users have used Freespire as an Operating system and have been able to access a corrupted and unreadable flash drive. Freespire needs to an installed OS so that will most likely not be an option.
A google search showed some success with linux live CD's. I would suggest Puppy Linux that will run from the CD and not have to be installed.
It would be downloaded as a iso file and you burn it (NOT COPY) to the CD. Use Burncdcc in my signature. Burncdcc will only burn iso files.

EDIT: Frespire can be run as a live CD. Check this link Running from a CD

Edited by 123Runner, 04 June 2009 - 01:15 PM.