Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Swaping laptop hard drives

• Please log in to reply

pjminor

pjminor

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have an IBM Thinkpad T22-2647 8eu with a 6GB hard drive Hitachi DK23AA-60B with Windows 2000 pro OS.

I also have an IBM Thinkpad T22-2647 9cu with a 32GB hard drive IBM DJSA-232 with the same OS.

The 6GB unit has died, I would like to retrieve some things from the hard drive. Can I put the 6GB hard drive in the 32GB unit to retrieve the info and then remove it and put the 32GB back in? Because of the different manuf would there be any problems. Everything else in the 2 laptops appears to be the same with the 32GB processor at 1000 MHz instead of 900 but both P3.

Thanks

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to go.

Not knowing why your laptop died, I would suggest that you not do it.The problem you are having could be a bad hard drive. Also, even slight differences between the laptops could keep it from starting and possibly furthur damage it.

There are other ways to get the data provided the drive is not mechanically dead.
1. Boot with a linux live CD (only works if the issue is a bad hard drive. The rest of the laptop needs to work).
2. Slave the hard drive to another computer using a 2.5 to 3.5 inch adapter cable.
3. Purchase a USB enclosure for the 2.5 inch drive and then plug it into another computer.

I suggest # 3 is the best option. The enclosures are about $10 (US). Look at them HERE at Tiger Direct. I am sure you can probably get them local also.
Then you can use the 6gb as a storage device or purchase a bigger drive for the case.

Good luck and let us know how you make out or if you need anything furthur.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
You should not swap boot disks regardless the reason it died. Windows is configured to boot to the hardware it was installed on. Even though those two notebooks are similar, a simple motherboard revision change can cause problems, and cause Windows to fail, or think it is being copied illegally and require re-authentication. I agree with 123Runner's suggestions.

pjminor

pjminor

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I believe the problem with the 6GB unit is the board. From power up to immediately turning off to finally no power up at all. Had cord checked-OK, power jack checks OK. At that point did not have time to check further but assumed it was in board. Now have 2-T22 2467 9cu which have a little more power than the 6GB unit and are in better shape had planned on using 6GB unit for parts, are you saying this is not possible? One of the units has a flickering and pink screen and I had thought to use parts from the 6GB unit to fix that.

The hard drive enclosure may be an idea, I see EBay has them for $1 + shipping for under $4 so for $5 I could create a portable hard drive. Thanks for the suggestion.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
As for swapping parts between them, you would have to get the service/ parts manuals for each of them and compare part numbers for the components you want to swap.
With that said, some components may very well fit with no issue what so ever.
An LCD screen, screen inverter, modem board, ram, to list a few might be ok. You just have to check.

I will see what I can find for the manuals. I will need some time though.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
The following link will get your guides and support items you need.

USER GUIDES AND MANUALS.

I have looked at the manual and find there is a discrepancy in what you state you have (8eu and 9cu). The 6gb drive is shown in a matrix on page 144 as being in a T20 model. Your 8eu shows a 20gb drive. It is probably nothing though. Also shown is CPU speed differences and monitor differences.

I will caution you to be careful on what you swap. Check part numbers and any numbers you find on the individual components.