Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP connected but will not pull up internet page.

• Please log in to reply

Peedee

Peedee

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello,

I am having issues with Windows XP. My PC shows my internet as connected. I have a modem and when I switch it over to my laptop the Internet works fine.

When I try on my PC...I recieve and error and the internet page cannot be displayed.

I have restored my computer to a previous date hoping that would work...no such luck.

What else should I try?

Advertisements

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
Welcome :) to Geeks to Go!

Do you currently have a router or do you do direct line from modem on each machine?

The problem you are having is slow IP address renewal. When your computer gets connected, the IP address renews itself each time it restarts a connection. When you trade the line to another computer, that computer needs to renew its IP. To do this is a rather slow process for older computers.

Do you have a firewall on either machine?

What other troubleshooting methods have you tried? (if any)

Peedee

Peedee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I usually do not switch between my PC and Laptop. I only switched to my laptop to see if the internet was actually working.

My wife was on the computer earlier in the day. She said that the Internet was working when she was on it...but it was running slow. She left for work and left the computer on. I noticed when I got home an internet page was open with an error.

I haven't really tried anything further...other than restoring to a previous date. I was looking at other posts on the site and thought maybe I try and re-install. I did notice the day before that Windows made an update...but not sure if that had anything to do with the issue.

My wife does use the computer for her business. She needs to go through a VPN to connect to her work. She tried connecting through the VPN and she was able to do so but once she pulled up the internet we still recieve the same error.

DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
Don't do a reinstall.

As your wife, whom you explained was connected to the internet on the desktop, said it was running slow, then later you suspected it was disconnected?

I suspect an infection.

Please give me an Everest report. < Click the link and it will give you instructions. I need a log pasted in your next reply, and we can go from there. Thanks.

Edited by DragonMaster Jay, 04 June 2009 - 11:16 AM.

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello,
Please
  • Click the start button.
  • Select control panel.
  • Select Internet options.
  • Select connections (at the top).
  • Select LAN settings.
  • Make sure that there is a check in the box next to Automatically detect settings.

Peedee

Peedee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I checked off automatically detect settings. It was not checked off prevously. When I open the internet window I still recieve the same error. It pops up as if it is going to pull up my home page then it quickly flashes and seems to be redirected to the error page.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
1. Click Start>Run (Start>"Start search" in Vista).

2. Type in (or copy and paste):

cmd /c ping google.com>%temp%\$.$&notepad %temp%\$.$

and press Enter.

3. Notepad will open.

4. Copy all text in Notepad ([Ctrl-A], then [Ctrl-C]), and then post it (paste = [Ctrl-V]) in your next reply.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post an OTListIt log in THAT forum.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Peedee,

We'd like to confirm that your issue is not caused by malware. Please follow the above instructions. If you are declared clean and continue to experience problems, please come back to this thread for more help.