Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

WD5000D032 External HD Issues

• Please log in to reply

Thebster

Thebster

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello, so I've had a Western Digital MyBook (WD5000D032) external drive that I've used to backup files for some time. Although it worked perfectly fine initially, over time I noticed issues crop up where it would have problems being recognized, necessitating that I unplug and replug it back in until it worked. I just assumed things wouldn't get worse, which was clearly a bad assumption to make. Now, I find that although I can connect it, the computer no longer recognizes it as containing any data files.

When looking at its properties, it shows up as the following, with a clearly malformed name:
Posted Image

In Disk Management, although it was given a drive letter (G:), its other attributes are simply blank:
Posted Image

I've also tried running the Data Lifeguard tool that Western Digital offers itself, with no luck, initially it failed its tests due to some kind of cable read error, so I replugged it in and, for example, when running the Extended Test (which should take at least SOME time) passes it instantaneously.
Posted Image

So clearly, for whatever reason, it no longer has an identifiable boot sector, making recovery kind of difficult. I've searched around the internet, and at this point it appears that if I can't resolve this through some software, I'll have to try and extract the hard disk from its casing and plug it in as an internal drive and see if it works properly then. Any thoughts/help would be much appreciated!

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
I would suggest that you try another USB port. Also you may very well have to remove it from the case and plug directly in as a slave. That would eliminate the case as a problem.
If that resolves the issue, then you know its the case, if not, we can continue on.

And welcome to Geeks to go.

Edited by 123Runner, 04 June 2009 - 12:52 PM.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
It looks like either the partition information is corrupted and simply formatting the drive will fix it or a physical issue with the drive or enclosure.

I really don't trust WDDiag in Windows, unreliable in my opinion. Can you run the SMART scan and Long scan in DOS, you should be able to create a bootable rescue disc with that WD software.

Thebster

Thebster

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Things aren't looking too good, I removed it from its case (the drive itself is a WD5000AAKS) and the same problems persisted.

GetDataBack is ineffectual, so I decided to see if SpinRite or HDD Regenerator will help. However, HDD Regenerator seems as though it will literally take ages to finish, and I'm not even sure if it's working at all based on the following screen:
Posted Image

I can't tell if it detects all the bad sectors first, then tries to recover them, or it recovers them as it detects them, in which case it's not making any difference at all. If it's the latter case, then I'll just cancel it and see how SpinRite does.

Any feedback would be much appreciated, I realize this is probably a lost cause but I'll try to do whatever I can (short of getting professional data recovery, I got a price quote and they wanted $590, ontop of shipping charges).

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
I would suggest trying out SpinRite from GRC. It's an excellent tool and quite cheap if you need to go the route of data recovery.

Have you tried to use the WD tool in DOS to perform a long scan? If only a few sectors are bad, you can repair them *hopefully* and retreive your data. That screen may look pretty bad, but also the first few blocks may be bad and the rest are fine which would explain why the space is reported wrong. The MFT, which controls that among other things, usually resides in the first few sectors of a disk.

Thebster

Thebster

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Well, SpinRite didn't go so well. No matter what setting I ran it under, while it was trying to find Mass Storage Devices it would fail with a Division Overflow Error, so it's looking like that's not going to work.

I'm wondering if there's anyone with enough Linux expertise (I have some) that would be willing to help me go through this guide: http://mybookworld.w...escue-procedure and see if it works. If so, I'm hoping I could talk to you through an IM, I have AIM or MSN so just PM me for the info. I realize this is a lot to ask for, but maybe someone out there is generous enough. :)

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
I can help you out with that, I will be on for a little bit in an hour or so but won't be available till probably Sunday. If so, shoot me a PM and well discuss.