Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Hardware

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Per another Tech Staff he recommends Dereks Boot and Nuke found Here.
He says it will do the same thing as the Scrubber you are suggesting except Dereks is a free program. Please take a look at the link and let me know what you think.

Advertisements

nicolecolgate

nicolecolgate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
What is HDs?
DBAN?
This scrubs the hard drive so it is like new? Nothing can be retrieved?
thanks

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts
HD’s is short for Hard Drives
DBAN = Darik's Boot and Nuke

This quote is from their site…

Darik's Boot and Nuke ("DBAN") is a self-contained boot disk that securely wipes the hard disks of most computers. DBAN will automatically and completely delete the contents of any hard disk that it can detect, which makes it an appropriate utility for bulk or emergency data destruction.
DBAN is a means of ensuring due diligence in computer recycling, a way of preventing identity theft if you want to sell a computer, and a good way to totally clean a Microsoft Windows installation of viruses and spyware. DBAN prevents or thoroughly hinders all known techniques of hard disk forensic analysis.
The development and support of the DBAN software project is funded in part by GEEP International. GEEP is the largest, the most efficient, and the most environmentally conscientious consumer electronics recycling company in North America.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
HD's is Hard drives

Dereks does exactly what you want.

BHowett :) :)

Edited by rshaffer61, 10 June 2009 - 04:17 PM.

hawklord

hawklord

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
HD's = hard disk, hdd (hard disk drive)

DBAN = Dariks Boot and Nuke

bit of info here on erasing and formating

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts
I think the three of us were all working on our post's at the same time :)

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
LMAO. Seems like it. The only thing is, on large hard drives it can take HOURS.

nicolecolgate

nicolecolgate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Why is it free? How do I use it exactly?
This will permamently delete everything on my hard drive, so it will be like new?
As in, nothing will ever be able to be retrieved from my hard drive ever again?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK I'll try to explain this again
There is no way it will be exactly new again
There is no Tech that will guarantee with 100% that it will be like new
It will be as close to new as you can possibly get
If you want to be sure that nothing will ever be retrieved then you can buy a new hd and take out your hd.
It is free because some of the best programs are made by the people who are volunteers just like we are and have years of experience in this field. If you go to the page i gave you for DBAN there is FAQ page located HERE that can answer most of your questions. It can also help you setup and run the program.
I'm not sure what else i can provide you with but the tool, the link to the pages and the information. If you so desire to purchase the military scrubber program it will do the same thing as the DBAN program. I understand that you may feel more at ease to do that since the Military uses it and with their sensitive information then it has to work.

Edited by rshaffer61, 11 June 2009 - 04:28 AM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I have seen rshaffer61's post in the Tech Staff forum and have decided to contribute:

I understand that you may feel more at ease to do that since the Military uses it and with their sensitive information then it has to work.

The military do not use it (well, it doesn't say that), it says that the program exceeds military specifications for removing data permanently.

DBAN is definitely the way to go, let it run for a few days of constant wiping and you'll be good to go. Then it will be like a new drive (except that it's used). If you want to get extremely technical about it, there are still methods to potentially extract data off any hard drive if ever the data was there at one stage. This is an extremely expensive process and it takes months from what I've heard. You'd want to be hiding something awfully bad/valuable/whatever for anyone to bother trying to extract the data.

As has been said before, if you really, really want it to be 100% new if you sell the computer, remove your current hard drive and install a new one.

Cheers

Troy

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What I was referencing to Troy is a Scrubbing program she had mentioned earlier that the military does use.
At least according to the reviews I read on it that she provided earlier in the topic.
I also explained DBAN was the same thing and was free so instead of spending money on a program then using DBAN would be the way to go.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

Choose to wipe your drive clean up to 100 times, far more even than required by military standards

I'm only pointing out that it doesn't actually say the military uses it... :)

Go DBAN! :)

Can't beat free. Even give a donation to the author (or me) and it's still cheaper!

Cheers

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Buy a new hard drive and then take a sledge hammer to the old one. Problem solved!

DBAN does work and is highly recommended as a way to wipe the drive.

Go DBAN.....(Had to put that in there Troy)