Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop recommendations from someone knowledgeable.

• Please log in to reply

getgreen

getgreen

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Ill be going off to college in August and I could use some advise on what type of laptop to buy. I have a budget of about $1,700 (possibly a little more). Basically I'm looking for something thats reliable, fast, and has memory. I like to run a lot of programs at once and I have A LOT of music to store. Any suggestions?

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
when I got my laptop a few months ago I had a much tighter budget. However I like what I got. Seems that in the stores (best buy, fry's, microcenter) you have your standard business laptops, budget laptops, and decked out models. Certainly for your budget, you have a lot of choices. Asus, Gateway, Toshiba all make good laptops. Save yourself some trouble and go with a smaller screen. You just won't have the space for the larger screens. Not to mention lugging it around.

Windows vista (free upgrade to windows 7 for those systems purchased after July)
x64 for multitasking
3gigs of ram or more.
Ati or Nvidia graphics.
examples:
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16834114634 (yes this one does have the larger screen)
dell studio 15

Apple options

If you need additional storage, you can always get a usb hard drive. Also I strongly recommend a Combination Notebook lock
example. Nothing like having your laptop stolen.

getgreen

getgreen

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
thanks dude, ill definitely look more into the Toshiba and dell.. Any advice on whether i should go with Vista Home Premium or Vista Ultimate if I have the choice?

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
stay with home premium. You don't get enough with ultimate to make it worth the extra money.