Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop recommendations for a student.

• Please log in to reply

getgreen

getgreen

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Ill be going off to college in August and I could use some advise on what type of laptop to buy. I have a budget of about $1,700 (possibly a little more). Basically I'm looking for something thats reliable, fast, and has memory. I like to run a lot of programs at once and I have A LOT of music to store. Any suggestions?

Advertisements

getgreen

getgreen

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
yea thats what i originally wanted but I'm afraid my budget might not allow a macbook pro... Also ive never used a mac and im not sure just starting out in college is a good time to relearn how to use a computer. i feel im fairly proficient on windows.

mandyjane

mandyjane

• Pip
  • 3 posts
As you will know there is a lot to consider when buying a laptop but with the budget you have finding something that meets your needs should not be a problem and you know the ways in which you will be using it, so I would imagine you have a good idea of your ideal spec. This is my favourite place to get answers to questions like this, as it is a world wide comparison engine - alatest.co.uk/?gclid=CPaD1pL...3godplaMdg&nr=1. You can sort the results by the factor that is most meaningful to you in your choice of laptop such as price, user review and expert reviews.

Mandy
HP

W-Unit

W-Unit

• PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
IMHO the only thing cool about a Mac is how it looks. If you'd rather have compatibility, the ability to play games, and much more bang for your buck, go PC. Dell makes a great laptop.
If you would rather pay more for a less powerful machine that looks really sleek, OR if you plan on doing any audio/video editing, go Mac.

If MS could just make an OS that was as intuitive and pretty as OSX, and if some PC maker like Dell could just make a laptop that was as sleek as a Macbook, Apple would be in trouble. That's just my opinion though.