Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Constantly lose wireless internet connection

• Please log in to reply

truder

truder

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Hello, I am using a HP vista laptop and am constantly losing my wireless connection. I won't be surprised if i lose it while typing this. I get interenet access then lose the connection then after about 2 minutes it will reconnect by iteslf. If I use a ethernet cable and hardwire it I have no issues. I recenlty moved and have a new internet provider but this was happening at my old location also. I am very frusturated. Any help or advice would be much apprecitated. Thank you in advance....Paul

Advertisements

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
Has it always been like this? Did it work differently when you first bought it? What kind of wireless router and adapter are you using. If you are using both the Windows wireless configuration utility, and the software that came with the adapter (if you bought it separately, they can conflict. It can also be problems with security.

-Jason

truder

truder

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
First of all thanks for taking the time to help. This has been happening pretty much since I've had this laptop although it was happening on my last laptop as well. I am currently set up with a Netgear Wireless - N WNR-2000 router with a Terayon TJ715X Modem.

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
And what is the network adapter you use? If it is a laptop, and you don't plug anything into the USB ports to connect, it's a network card. It is probably different than the one you had in the last computer, so it isn't the problem I'd guess - but for information's sake..

Start > Run > devmgmt.msc
Network adapters > Post all that are stated.

What kind of internet connection do you have? If it's dsl, you need to make sure you have all the little DSL filters plugged into the phone lines around the house. If these aren't plugged in they cause terrible interference.

I assume you've tried this, but reset all the modems and routers and wait about 60 seconds.

Also, this forum can probably help you as well.

truder

truder

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
I'm gonna need your help. where is start>run with vista? It was simple on my old xp...not sure on vista. Yes, I've done the 60 second thing. No i am not using DSL, using cable.

Thanks

truder

truder

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
is this what you were looking for?? stated under network adaptors

Intel® Wireless WiFi Link 5100
Realtek RTL8168C(P)/8111C(P) Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.0)

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
Mostly the Intel® Wireless WiFi Link 5100, it's the wireless network card built into your laptop. Have you checked for driver updates? Navigate back to Device Manager (devmgmt.msc) and double click on Intel® Wireless WiFi Link 5100. Under the driver tab, choose update driver.

What kind of internet connection do you have? If it's dsl, you need to make sure you have all the little DSL filters plugged into the phone lines around the house. If these aren't plugged in they cause terrible interference.

I assume you've tried this, but reset all the modems and routers and wait about 60 seconds.

truder

truder

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Thanks. I followed your instructions and updated driver software

Intel® WiFi Link 5100 AGN

Please let me know what to do next.

Thanks.

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
How are the problems? Worse - Better? The same..? :)

truder

truder

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Sorry for the delay...was out of town for the weekend. Not seeing much difference.. My connection still goes in and out.

paul

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
Hmm, another idea:
  • Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
  • In the right pane,click Network and Internet Connections.
  • In the right pane, click Network Connections.
  • Right-click Wireless Network Connection, and then click Properties.
  • This check box should be unchecked for 802.1x authentication if it's checked.

pcs365_11

pcs365_11

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
If there is a frequent disconnection you may need to check the wireless router aswell. Try changing the wireless channel number of your router and update firmware.