Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Losing connection after enabling another

• Please log in to reply

illegal3alien

illegal3alien

• Pip
  • 2 posts
So I have 2 connections form my computer, one to a router, and one to another computer (for sharing). Every time I enable the second connection (sharing) the first connection (web) stops working. Any idea why? As soon as I disabled the 2nd connection, internet comes back. It was used to work fine together before we got a new router. Both are configured manually (with IP settings/gateway).

Advertisements

datarunner

datarunner

• PipPipPip
  • 440 posts

So I have 2 connections form my computer, one to a router, and one to another computer (for sharing). Every time I enable the second connection (sharing) the first connection (web) stops working. Any idea why? As soon as I disabled the 2nd connection, internet comes back. It was used to work fine together before we got a new router. Both are configured manually (with IP settings/gateway).

Hi There

Why dont you cable both computers to the router? Instead of having 2 connections from one computer. If thats what you said or meant.

regards

illegal3alien

illegal3alien

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
The router is megabit 10/100 where the crossover is gigabit 10/100/1000

Edited by illegal3alien, 05 June 2009 - 12:00 PM.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
I'm assuming you didn't assign the same IP address to both machines correct?

mike171562

mike171562

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
Unless your using Gigabit ethernet cards on both ends of the crossover it wont make a difference anyway.