Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

NAS Questions

• Please log in to reply

datarunner

datarunner

• PipPipPip
  • 440 posts
Hi All

I'm helping out at my local church and they have both Mac and Windows computers on a small local network. They work with big multimedia files between both the Macs and Windows systems and the files end up everywhere on the network.

What I need to do is get a centralised system where both the Mac and Windows users can "dump" their files to a central location, which can be easily accessed in future from either the Mac or Windows computers.

I understand that Mac systems cannot write to NTFS (which is needed due to file system size) so I need some sort system easily accessed by both Mac and Windows

Will a NAS box accomplish this? Or could I setup a Ubuntu server with extra drives for storage?

I'd love to here your ideas.

Regards

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Drives set up as network drives in Windows can be any file format you want.
Therefore you should be able to format the drive as a MAC format and providing you access it as a network drive in Windows, it'll be happy. Note that if you connect a MAC formatted drive directly to a Windows PC, it will have a sniff and then totally ignore it. Windows has no built-in support for HPS formatted drives but network drives can be formatted however you like and they'll still work in Windows.

The easiest solution (though how you'll do this on a Mac I couldn't possibly say as I don't use them) may be to pop an extra drive in, share it or folders as needs be, and map network drives to those shares from Windows. A NAS box may be another solution, though possible overkill.

Edited by Neil Jones, 05 June 2009 - 05:32 PM.

datarunner

datarunner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Drives set up as network drives in Windows can be any file format you want.
Therefore you should be able to format the drive as a MAC format and providing you access it as a network drive in Windows, it'll be happy. Note that if you connect a MAC formatted drive directly to a Windows PC, it will have a sniff and then totally ignore it. Windows has no built-in support for HPS formatted drives but network drives can be formatted however you like and they'll still work in Windows.

The easiest solution (though how you'll do this on a Mac I couldn't possibly say as I don't use them) may be to pop an extra drive in, share it or folders as needs be, and map network drives to those shares from Windows. A NAS box may be another solution, though possible overkill.

Hi There

Many thanks for your reply.

So what you are saying is have a drive formated in Mac format, connect it to the Mac and share it out?

OK I do have an external 500gb drive, formated as NTFS due to the file sizes. So can I convert this to Mac format WITHOUT loosing the data on there? Then share the drive and the Windows PCs can access it?

Regards

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
I know not about the workings of how to use the MAC operating system which is why I don't go into the other forums and post about it.

It may be worth either posting in this forum:
http://www.geekstogo...Systems-f7.html

Or asking a mod if they could so nicely move this thread to the above forum.

mike171562

mike171562

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
A nas box would accomplish this, or get an old PC install Ubuntu and setup a Samba server, Both the Mac and Windows machines will see a Samba share and its easy to setup.