Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Combofix: autoplay in vista

• Please log in to reply

EleKtrA

EleKtrA

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,
I use combofix a long time, and I noticed that disables the autoplay in Xp, but in Vista, (run as administrator) does not disable this feature.

Why? Have you noticed?

This program works differently depending on the OS?

Thanks in advance.

Regards.

Advertisements

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
This feature is automatically disabled in Vista as its a big security exploit

There is a registry fix to restore this setting on your XP, cant remember exactly where to find it though

EleKtrA

EleKtrA

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I agree that it is safer to disable the autoplay, but I will not explain why combofix run on vista premium has not disabled this feature. :)

Combofix uses different code depending on which system is running? (if-then-else)

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
I thought I already explained it. Vista doesn't have that security exploit so theres nothing for CF to disable

JimB007

JimB007

• PipPip
  • 96 posts
Now that we're talking about autoplay, when I left-double-click on the icon of my DVD_ROM in "My Computer", the inserted DVD starts to play with "Windows Media Player".
Since I just associated my Power DVD program with the ifo files (VIDEO_TS.IFO), I just would like to do a double-left-click on the DVD-ROM folder (without my WMP starting !) and afterwards go inside the VIDEO_TS folder and double-click that VIDEO_TS.IFO file to start the DVD (instead of R-clicking and having to scroll and choose for "open with" ... etc.). I prefer L-clicks to R-clicks anyway because with R-clicks you always have to scroll in a menu.

Edited by JimB007, 05 June 2009 - 01:33 PM.