Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD/DVD drive issues

• Please log in to reply

hsmith

hsmith

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I've had my HP Pavilion dv9500 since November of '07 and just recently started having issues with the CD/DVD drive. I've been joking that it will play everything except for what I want it to (It will read Saw 2 and 3, but not the first movie. It will read all my games except for the two that I want to play. It will read blank DVDs and Cds, it will also read burned CDs). This is the kind of drive that I have: Matshita DVD RAM UJ-861H ATA Device

I have gone to the HP website and looked for solutions there: http://h10025.www1.h...product=3255934

When I tried to get my computer to read the disk through a command prompt I got this error "The request could not be preformed because of an I/O device error."

I've uninstalled and reinstalled the device driver and I can't system restore because I don't have a decent backup point.

I plan on getting a disk cleaner, and if that doesn't work I'll reseat the drive like HP suggests... and if that doesn't work, the I guess I'll buy another drive. If this is a problem with the computer and not the drive itself can you please help me and save me from buying a new CD/DVD drive only to find out that it still won't work?

Thanks.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Matsushita must be the worst optical drive brand ever, so I'm not surprised, it's dying...most likely.

Try the steps below. If they don't work, most likely, new drive is needed (~$30)...

One of these may help:
1. Uninstall the drive through Device Manager.
Restart computer. The drive will be automatically reinstalled.
or...
2. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060
Restart computer.
or...
3. Download, and run Restore Missing CD Drive patch
Double click on cdgone.zip to unzip it.
Right click on cdgone.reg, click Merge.
Accept registry merge.
Restart computer.
or...
4. Go to Device Manager, click a "+" sign next to IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers.
You'll see two items:
- ATA Channel0 (or Primary Channel)
- ATA Channel1 (or Secondary Channel)
Right click on each of them, and click Uninstall. Confirm.
Restart Windows. They'll be automatically reinstalled.

hsmith

hsmith

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Broni, thanks for helping me out. Unfortunately I did what you said and my drive still doesn't read most of my disks. There's a good chance that it's shot.

Where can I get another one?

Does it have to be the exact same drive?

Thanks again.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
It looks like it's dead.
Because it's laptop, your best bet is to contact HP.