Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD Drive not working properly

• Please log in to reply

alemangui

alemangui

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello!

I have a bit of a problem, I have a laptop with Core 2 Duo, 2 Ghz, and 4GB of Ram, Windows Vista, and I just bought it 3 months ago. Everything worked nice until today, I tried burning a MP3 CD with iTunes, it after a while of not responding, it showed a message "Burner drive or software not found". So next I tried with Roxio Creator. Pretty much the same thing happened, something like not being able to find the drive and asking me to attach one. Next I tried with Windows, putting all the files in a folder and trying to burn it, but no luck. Not only that, but the whole time I was unable to eject my drive (only with the paper clip method). I went to device manager and it says my drive is working properly. I have no clue what is happening. I recently downloaded Virtual Clone Drive to mount .iso, I wonder if that has anything to do with it.

Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated!

Advertisements

alemangui

alemangui

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
One more thing, I just restarted my computer and now I cant see it in IE nor in Device Manager, its gone. Help!

MrPatrick

MrPatrick

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I'm afraid to say that it sounds like a hardware failure. As you boot up (and this depends on the make of the laptop) you can clear the inevitable splash screen to see what the BIOS is doing, this should show you the drives it can see attached.

To clear the splash screen you need to hit Tab or F1 or Del or similar (it should see on the screen hit XXX to see startup messages, or something very similar).

If you are unsure you can go into BIOS* by hitting DEL or F1 (usually, again it should say ing screen - look for the bright white writing). Here it will list the available drives. Its difficult to describe exactly what you are looking for with out more info on the make model of the laptop.

*IF YOU ARE UNSURE OF WHAT YOU ARE DOING MAKE SURE YOU EXIT WITHOUT SAVING

alemangui

alemangui

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hey guys!

Well its up and running again, here's what I did, just in case someone else gets the same problem.

Apparently, with some kind of Vista update, my drive stopped working because Vista did not recognized it. So, by doing the following it should be OK again. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060