Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bad pool caller

• Please log in to reply

Mooncat10

Mooncat10

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Can anyone please help, i get a blue screen on start up from my pc and cant get any further. Have tried the BIOS to disable cache and also safe mode and neither can be done. Its a dell desktop on windows xp. Wont even let me run system restore. Lucky I have the good ole lappy and wifi lol so can beg for help in here.

Please help me.

Barbara

Advertisements

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Please post the hex values your getting on the blue screen, ie 0x0000007B (0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Start your system and at the Second post screen tap on F8, F11, F12 one of them should get you to the Boot Menu or Advanced Boot Menu
Use the Arrow Keys to Scroll down to the line that says "Auto Start On Error" and highlight it.
Click Enter to disable it
The system should reboot and if not then do so.
When the BSOD shows it will stop so that you can reply with the STOP ERROR and any parameters.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts

Start your system and at the Second post screen tap on F8, F11, F12 one of them should get you to the Boot Menu or Advanced Boot Menu
Use the Arrow Keys to Scroll down to the line that says "Auto Start On Error" and highlight it.
Click Enter to disable it
The system should reboot and if not then do so.
When the BSOD shows it will stop so that you can reply with the STOP ERROR and any parameters.

She cannot get into Windows. Please read the thread more throughly.

If you can boot the machine using a Linux boot disc such as Puppy Linux, we can browse your hard drive and retreive the minidump files. They are located in C:\WINDOWS\Minidump, if you wish to try this please let us know and we will proceed from there.

Edited by Cilix, 05 June 2009 - 09:57 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Cilix the instructions i gave are for outside windows.

Mooncat10

Mooncat10

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
These are the error codes.
0x000000c2
0x00000043
0xdd524000
0x00000000

I am currently running the system test/system tree /windows blue screen test to see what comes up in there.

I have done the comptia A+ tech course but was about 5 years ago and I am okay with working with Bios etc so will try that advice from the above posts if this test throws no light on the subject.

Thanks for all the help guys my 16 year old is cracking up as I have stolen my laptop back from her room lol

Barbara

Edited by Mooncat10, 05 June 2009 - 11:35 AM.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
If you can send us those minidump files, that would make it much easier. Seems like its a driver issue.

Mooncat10

Mooncat10

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Is that what I will get from the system tree test? its at 99% now on the windows blue screen one so wont be long but depends on the amount to type over from the desktop to lappy :|

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
System tree test? Im not sure what you are referring to. The minidump files are accesible if you boot into a Linux or a Windows PE environment boot disc. Try Knoppix or Puppy Linux or if you want a familiar Windows environment try MiniPE.

Mooncat10

Mooncat10

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
am running a diagnostic on the dell website this is the stage am at now

Fixing Blue Screen Error Messages in Microsoft® Windows® XP
Journal ID: 091568G2K8
Wizard ID: 168551
Date Published: 27/02/2004
Last Revised: 15/12/2008

STEP: Run Blue Screen Tests in Dell 32-bit Diagnostics

Additional Information
Press the power button to turn off the computer, and then turn the computer back on.

As the computer starts up and the Dell BIOS screen appears, press the <F12> key.

In the One-Time Boot Menu, press <Down Arrow> to highlight Diagnostics or Boot to the Utility Partition and press <Enter>.

Note:
If the Diagnostics or Boot to the Utility Partition do not appear, refer to Dell Knowledge Base document "How to Run the Dell Diagnostics Utility" Article ID: 155502. Return to this wizard after using those diagnostics to continue your troubleshooting.

When the Dell GUI diagnostics start, click Symptom Tree.

In the Symptom Tree window, click Windows Blue Screen or Cannot Boot the OS.

Click Run Tests.

I only have windows installed on the pc none of the other OS

Advertisements

Mooncat10

Mooncat10

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
okay all tests have passed so thats no help still getting blue screen, went into advanced and cant see auto start on error in there and dont have linux or any of the others on the pc.

Mooncat10

Mooncat10

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
just put the xp disc in and that has also failed, the blue screen gets past the disc

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
I would now suggest running Memtest and DFT to test both the memory and HDD. Sometimes this blue screen is caused by a failing hard drive.

Mooncat10

Mooncat10

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
i did the memory test what is the dft one and how do I do that please? thanks

Mooncat10

Mooncat10

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I have just been looking in the BIOS and have 6 keyboard errors in the post events log. I have another keyboard but its serial and have no serial port on the pc to try and see if this helps, the first error was 30th may which would coincide with the error, if its this simple i will be overjoyed and cry at the same time for the 6 hours of work today lol. I do have a serial/usb adaptor somewhere so will be off to find that now to see if this may help