Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

vortex prestige

• Please log in to reply

turdhopper

turdhopper

• Pip
  • 6 posts
ok so here is my problem, i intsalled vortex prestige to see what vista was all about, the site i got it from said you can revert back to xp with no problems, but i think they lied, when the program installed it overwrote alot of windows files that i believe need a disk for xp to get back,i dont have a disk or know what service pack i was using. system restore wont go back past my install of the program. so my question is does anybody know how to revert back to windows from this without re installing xp clean. any help would be greatly appreciated. i am stuck

Advertisements

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
I would suggest trying System Restore first.

turdhopper

turdhopper

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

I would suggest trying System Restore first.

i have tried system restore, it wont let me restore to any points before my install of the program

tyler kick you fase

tyler kick you fase

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
I'm thinkg sence it overwrote your system files it is a Virut infecton.

please go here for assistance.

turdhopper

turdhopper

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
[quote name='tyler kick you fase' date='Jun 5 2009, 02:26 PM' post='1553016']
I'm thinkg sence it overwrote your system files it is a Virut infecton.

i have scanned it multiple times with my avg and it comes back clean everytime, i know that doesnt mean that it isnt viral but im pretty sure it isnt, the message i got during install was something along the lines of windows files are being changed to unrecognized formats and the options with it were to use the xp disc to get them back or to ignore them and keep unrecognized formats. and of course there was no cancel install button. i think most of them were sound files and theme files but i am not sure the program doesnt tell to much about what it takes off

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Alright, so what happens when you try to boot your machine normally?

turdhopper

turdhopper

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Alright, so what happens when you try to boot your machine normally?

im not sure what you mean by that? do you mean disabling the program from the start menu? i have not tried to do that yet,but it runs under a file called vista driver, i guess i can try and let you know what happens

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
I mean just booting your computer like you normally would everyday, you able to get into Windows correct?

turdhopper

turdhopper

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
oh yeah, it boots and runs fine, takes a little longer to get everything going, but windows does work fine. basically the most it changed was my sounds and cursor,the log in screen is new and the shut down screen is new, and my folders have the new look, it has the options to add all the other fun stuff of vista like the transparency and the sidebars and what not but my rig is only a 2.9ghz cpu with 256 ram so i opted not to even try all that stuff. [bleep] for the most part id leave it how it is if i knew how to change my log in and shutdown screens back to the xp versions

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Check out this guide here: http://www.jakeludin...oot_screen.html

turdhopper

turdhopper

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
hey thanks man, but.....that doesnt solve my login screen problem that is what screams vista loud and clear, my boot screen still says xp, its the login and the shutdown thats gonna get me in trouble, any ideas how to change them. i kinda remember a program i used to have back in the day that was called tweak xp or it might have been a powertoy for xp that let me change all sorts of things and i think they might have been in there but i cant seem to find the program i had anywhere, been searching all day.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Your probably thinking about ThemeXP.

http://sarahlane.typ...ws_tweak_h.html