Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

disconnecting from internet

• Please log in to reply

richocki

richocki

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
Until recently I used Zone Alarm Firewall. It worked ok but seemed to be a hog and slowed things down. One feature I liked was were you could disconnect from the internet. Which I liked doing if I was doing something that did not require an internet connection. I guess I felt I was safer from viruses and things like that.

I am now using Ashampoo Firewall and it does not have such a feature. Is there a way I can disconnect? Can I click on the LAN icon in the system tray and select 'disable'?
Would I also have to do that on the 1394 connection icon also? Or is there a better fire wall out there that has the disconnect feature?

I know there a few questions in there but I am sure Geeks to Go can handle them. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You don't need to disconnect. The whole point of having a broadband connection is that it's an always on connection.
If you must, unplug the network cable which has the same effect. Disabling it from the system tray will disable the entire network port and the way back isn't entirely obvious.

richocki

richocki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
Thank you Neal. I guess you are right. I shouldn't worry so much.

Edited by richocki, 05 June 2009 - 08:57 PM.