Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Intrusion wireless network

• Please log in to reply

Loke

Loke

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello.

Has purchased a new D-link router for home use.

I have been careless and not changed the default configuration.

Discovered today, that any linked up which is not surprising.

Hence, I have three questions.

With these newer D-link routers for home use, it has even if it is that someone is inside the network, the ability to easily program finished (the guys are probably not light heads an assumption I do)? Is there any built-in, so to speak, encryption is usually against the users in the same network at the newer routers? or it is sufficient with simpler nedladdbara program? "

I am connected via VPN, the traffic is happening overseas VPN is protected, I know, but an ordinary VPN protects even the network outwards against the internet? then unpacks the data packets so they are invisible and encrypted outside of wireless network?

If it is now so as to intercept and with the factor that is used out of the VPN and if the newer form of D-link router for home use, which seems to be two factors that make the next question seems to me is neurotic and mentally ready for the hospital.

But I ask it anyway If you intercept the traffic, you can see in detail where you surf, what you write? Let's say if the site is not encrypted as banking websites, and more are.

Advertisements

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
I am not entirely able to understand your English, but it sounds like other people have connected to your wireless network. You want to know can they see stuff you are doing via VPN?

If you are doing it over a VPN via VPN client on YOUR computer then NO they can not see it. If the VPN is set up in the router, then more than liekly YES they can see it. Same as if you were not using a VPN at all.

If the VPN client is on your computer, no matter if they were legitimately on your network or not, then they could not see your network.

You should enable WPA or WPA2 encryption for your wireless network. This will prevent people from being able to get on your network at ALL. PERIOD. Also change the SSID (the wireless network name) to an uncommon one (say your name plus some extra letters and numbers).

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Great suggestion regarding the encryption, WEP is incredibly weak and broken quite easily. Another suggestion if I may would be if you don't plan on expanding your network anytime soon, make sure your wireless clients are connected then turn off the SSID broadcast. A malicious user would need to be purposely searching for your router and would have to guess which one is yours.

A VPN uses either PPTP or L2TP to encapsulate (package up) packets from source to destination. The traffic is always encrypted using IPSEC and is not susceptible to man in the middle attacks since it is not broad casted in plain text. Now, if your destination or source network or machine is comprised whether it be from a virus, malware, social engineering, then yes, they can probably see whatever your doing just as easily as you do sitting in front of your screen.

Hope that helps.

Loke

Loke

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

I have a router for broadband, they have come in to my router.

I connect to an external VPN, then in Europe where I am living where different directives for anonymity is becoming more and more limited.

Apparently there are other forms of VPN, but this is a form of VPN to be anonymous when you are on the internet himself.

Now the question is, in fact, my internal network, and not the Internet where I know how it works. But in the interneta wireless network, on the other who took his in an irregular situation in the network, if they can intercept my Internet traffic?

If I would not use the anonymous-VPN, it is reasonable to believe this, but I wonder if an anonymous VPN, which is encrypted if it is also encrypted within the normal wireless network?

So do VPN once you are on the internet that you are anonymous to the larger degree when encryption is done, the encryption also takes place via the wireless network through Windows built-in VPN to connect to through an external service?

Excuse me if I'm loose at the last post, hope this post is more understandable.

Loke

Loke

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
This is super, received a reply post above, before I send in the above of my post:)

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
OK, so you think they are in your router? If so, reset the router to default settings and setup a new password on it. A router will not support VPN unless stated so on the box. There are models marketed particularly for that purpose, or you could reflash your router with DDWRT but that is something that can permanently damage it and not to be done by the faint of heart. If you would like to do this and harden the router big time, let me know and I will be happy to assist.

But to answer your main question, VPN traffic, once it is passed over the WAN is nearly impossible to sniff out.

Loke

Loke

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello again,

I do not know if this detail has no distinction. To my wireless router, I always use a network cable, so I have not used the wireless network even if the router has that feature.

As you wrote in the post above this, that to intercept wireless routers are easy.

But I forgot to write the item, then I assumed that there was no significance. But then I am very ignorant, I can hear me after the protection is higher against this behavior as described above posts, when using network cable?

So ask for, the protection is quite as bad when in a wireless router using a network cable as when I would use the wireless network card in your computer?

Thanks again for your kindness with your help.