Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

cannot copy 2.83gb file to 4.7gb dvd?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

geordie_john

geordie_john

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
hello i have got 20 avi files of the t.v. program Fringe which altogether comes to about 2.83gb and i want to copy it to a dvd so i can watch it on my t.v. but using Imtoo and Ashampoo it says not enough space on the dvd ?
i am now converting the files to mp4 and stiching all the files together but i am not trying to copy it until Saturday morning,does anyone know what i am doing wrong or know of a better program i can use please as i have already wasted 3 dvds ?
thank you.

Advertisements

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Can you post a screenshot of the error?

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
What exactly are you doing with those avi files, using Imtoo?
Imtoo is DVD ripper, but avi is already ripped format.
Does your standalone DVD player plays straight avi files?
It's not clear what exactly you're doing.

geordie_john

geordie_john

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
i will try and get a screenshot,i might be using the wrong program in Imtoo but i am trying to copy the avi files of Fringe onto a dvd to put in my standalone dvd player which plays avi files to allow me to watch the dvd of Fringe on my t.v.
can you please suggest a program that will allow me to copy the avi files of 2.83gb to a dvd so that i can play the dvd in my Panasonic dvd player so i can watch Fringe on my t.v. ?
thank you.

geordie_john

geordie_john

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
i am going to bed now but i will login in the morning so any advice would be appreciated.
thank you.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
If your standalone player recognize avi files why don't you simply copy, and paste those files into CD?

geordie_john

geordie_john

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
it will take quite a few cd s and i am trying to put all the files on 1 dvd

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,308 posts
I would think that a simple program like Burnaware Free would do what you want. A simple program to use and since there is no conversion to be done, it would get it done with no frills.

hawklord

hawklord

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
you will be able to copy the files over to dvd as data only, then your stand alone may be able to play them if it supports the codec and container,

to be able to watch with any stand alone then the files would have to be converted to video format (.vob), but the files total size would not fit on one dvd,

a 4.7gb dvd takes around 2 hours of video (depending on how the original .avi was coded),

i would go for one .avi (converted to .vob) per dvd, but you may be able to fit 2,

you would need a decent codec pack, transcoder and a burning program

if you want an 'all-in-one' package, then nero is probably your best choice, its not free - but there are free programs around that are just as good

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,308 posts
hawklord that is quite true. I missed that. The device needs to have the proper codecs on it to be able to play avi files.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

it will take quite a few cd s and i am trying to put all the files on 1 dvd

Sorry for my typo. I meant DVD, not CD.
If you copy 2.83gb to a DVD, it'll take 2.83gb of DVD space.
I don't understand what the problem is here.

hawklord

hawklord

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
i believe that the .avi container can be used on a stand alone, but only if the data is in divx and the stand alone supports the divx codec,
your stand alone may have something like this on it to be compatable

Attached Thumbnails

• divx.jpeg

Edited by hawklord, 06 June 2009 - 11:03 AM.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
That's the million dollar question here, because I've been looking for a long time for standalone DVD player, which would play straight avi from DVDs, and I was not able to find one.
What I did found, and what I bought was a player, which has USB port, and it plays straight avi files from USB stick, but not from DVDs.

hawklord

hawklord

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
40 squid here in the uk :)

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
As I can not think of any reason for someone to have AVI files of a television program but not the original DVD, I can only assume that the show has been illegally obtained. We here at GeeksToGo will not assist you with issues relating to copied, pirated, or in any other way stolen programs or media. It is a direct violation of our TOS (Terms Of Service) to offer any assistance in this matter. This topic will now be closed. If you have any questions/concerns, please PM me or a member of the moderation or administration teams.