Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Power Supply / Fan Speed Concern

• Please log in to reply

lhcbc

lhcbc

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I have a Gateway GM5457E: Processor: Intel® Core™2 Duo E6320 Dual Core Processor with VT
· Each core operates at 1.86 GHz, Shared 4 MB L2 cache, 1066 MHz front side bus
Chipset: Intel 945G chipset (Viiv™ capable)
RAM Memory:· Installed: 2048 MB DDR2, 533 MHz, (PC4200) dual channel memory (two 1024 MB DIMMs)
· Expandable to: 4 GB (4 DDR2 DIMM slots)
Hard Drive 500 GB, 7200 RPM, SATA II hard drive, Support for up to two hard drives
Optical Drive: DVD ±RW, 16X multi-format dual layer drive
Power Supply: 300 watts.
-------------

I've added an extra 2GB Ram, an extra 500GB HD, and changed the single tuner out for a dual tuner.

I've noticed that all the fans are running real slow when I turn it on. There are three, that I can see.

I'm curious as to why they run so slow. (I can actually stick my finger into the blade to stop them, without it hurting.)
Since they are all running slow, I'm wondering if my P'S is not up to the added components.
Any help is appreciated.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
"Power Supply: 300 watts."

I suggest increasing this to at least a 450 or 500 watt.
I believe you are probably pushing that 300 to the max it can handle with the
2nd HD
New Video card

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Are the fans only running slow for a few moments when the computer is turned on, but then speed up?

Are you experiencing any system instability?

It is unlikely that an extra hard drive and a stick or two of RAM would push a PSU over the edge (on average, a hard drive would only add about 10W and each stick of RAM would only add about 4W to power consuption), though it is possible depending on the age and quality of the PSU.

lhcbc

lhcbc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I waited for about 5 minutes and the fans never increased in speed. The video card has 256 on-board. (stock). But I replaced the stock single tuner with a Hauppage PVR500 (dual tuner).

Periodically, the HTPC will give me the dreaded "blue" screen and ave to reboot. That seems to happen when I am recordeing a show, watching a show, and fast forwarding or rewinding a scene on the watched show. Would you consider that instability? That probably happens one or two times a day.

I'm concerned that other parts not getting enough power might cause them to prematurely fail; just because of the p/s.

Edited by lhcbc, 07 June 2009 - 07:04 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

The video card has 256 on-board. (stock). But I replaced the stock single tuner with a Hauppage PVR500 (dual tuner).

This is what i believe is overpowering your PSU. I may be wrong but it seems like this was the culprit.
Stettybet0 is great at figuring out the PSU issues.
If you can please include how old the PSU is in your next reply.
Also if the system is not under warranty can you open it and try to find out what brand and model the PSU is?

Edited by rshaffer61, 07 June 2009 - 07:17 AM.

lhcbc

lhcbc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
The power supply label says its a Delta Electronics, Model DPS-300PB-3 A Rev.:00F.

It is about three years old.

Edited by lhcbc, 15 June 2009 - 01:21 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please go and use PSU Calculator.
This will help you to determine if the PSU is being stressed. Let me know if you need the information if ask for and we can run a program to get the information. It also could be the PSU isn't stressed but just worn out or weak.

lhcbc

lhcbc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
OK: So I input, Intel Core 2 duo, regular motherboard, NVidea 7600, 4GB ddr2, dvd-rw, & 2) 7200rpm HD's and got = 374 watts.

Here's my concern. The PC was marketed as an HTPC with a tuner that isnn't addressed in that equation. Also mine is a 7500 Nvidea which isn't listed, ... Well, I guess it doesn't matter because I only have a 300 watt p/s anyway. I intend to get at least a 500 watt now that I know I need to replace it. That should cover my twin tuner card also. Anybody have an opinion on what would be the best value for someone that hasn't got allot to spend? Thank you for your help, people. ~ Britt.

Edited by lhcbc, 15 June 2009 - 02:09 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Make sure you read the reviews on which ever PSU you are intending to purchase. The 12V Rail from what I have been told is the one to watch for sure when checking the specs on the PSU. If you have any questions about them please feel free to ask and we can find one of the PSU experts to help.

Congratulations. :) for a successful resolution for your issue. I am happy everything has been worked out for you. With that being said I am happy to say:

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed me to assist you with your issue and for your patience. Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :) :)
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible

Edited by rshaffer61, 15 June 2009 - 02:08 PM.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Before you go out and buy a new PSU, there is something you could quickly do that will help verify that it is indeed the PSU that is at fault. Remove your video card, and then see if the fans speed up. I'm having you remove the video card because it uses a lot of power (relatively speaking), and it was there before when everything worked fine (removing a new component would show nothing, because that component could be the source of the issue). If removing the video card causes the fans to speed up, then the PSU is most likely to blame, and we will be able to help you pick out a new one.

Advertisements

lhcbc

lhcbc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I wish I'd have looked at this sooner. I just ordered this p/s from Newegg.
http://www.newegg.co...6817148027#spec .

The video card is built into the motherboard so I can't do that. But, since that power calculator indicated I need over 360 watts, anyway, doesn;t that pretty much make this point mute?

I would like to know if someone with more knowledge than I, thinks this p/s I just ordered sounds like a good value and adequate for my pc.

You guys are really helpful. That's nice to see. ~ Britt.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I would say yes but I am not the PSU expert, Stettybet0 is the one to ask. :)
Let me see if I can get one of the other Staff members to take a look at it for you.

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts

I would say yes but I am not the PSU expert, Stettybet0 is the one to ask.
Let me see if I can get one of the other Staff members to take a look at it for you.

500 watt is the bare minimum I would recommend. You said you have on-board graphics so it should be fine for a low end system.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thank you sarahw for the assistance. :)
I'm old school and I would have said the same as you. :)
Hopefully this now sets your mind to ease IHcbc and please let us know how things work out with the new PSU.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
The PSU Calculator, while a decent tool for making general approximations of how much power you need, is not completely accurate. This is especially so in your case, as you said you have an integrated GPU, which will use much less power than a discrete GPU.

Anyways, now it is a moot point, as you've already bought a new PSU. :)