Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems with Direct3d acceleration

• Please log in to reply

Silentious

Silentious

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi,

Recently I reinstalled windows xp on my computer and reinstalled all my hardware as well.
Before the fresh install, whenever I played games the graphics would work fine but now there's a black haze that seems to settle on everything.
I checked dxdiag and when i test direct3d acceleration I can't see the spinning direct x cube.
The strange thing is that if i take a screen shot of a game or even the test, the graphics are fine.
For example I attached a picture of the sims 2 loading screen.
It looks fine from here but when I see it from my screen while in game, the only thing i can barely see is the SIMS. Everything else is either dark or just barely visible.

Not really sure what's wrong but any help would be much appreciated! :)

Current display device: Radeon X600 256MB HyperMemory

Attached Thumbnails

• untitled.JPG

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Make sure that your display cables are connected firmly, and not loose.
Try downloading new drivers for your video card from here: http://support.amd.c...ofessional/Home
Download the Full Software Suite. Install it, and reboot.

Also right click on your desktop, and choose Properties. Go to the "Settings" tab. Click the Advanced button. Go to the Troubleshoot tab. Experiment with different hardware acceleration levels.

Silentious

Silentious

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for taking the time to help!
So i tried both solutions and they both failed.
I took a picture of the screen just in case it would help.
black picture is the image i see and the regular image is what comes out when i press print screen.

Attached Thumbnails

• untitledsss.JPG
  • P090607001.jpg

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Try another monitor. Thank you for the pics, they help me see what is going on.

The problem is either the graphics hardware or the monitor. The input is going through correctly, but the output on the monitor is incorrect.

Silentious

Silentious

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Sorry for the delayed reply!

I tried another monitor (exactly same one just a couple years older) and the same problem occurred.
I also tried reinstalling the graphics hardware and it seems to have solved the problem.
I think my problem has been solved for now but when i tried it before it only worked for a couple days.
This time it's been consistent throughout the week so I'm hoping the problem has been completely solved.

The previous time I reinstalled the hardware, it worked fine until the windows xp (I think) said that it updated and then the same problem popped up again.

So for now i think it's solved.
Thank you for all the help and if there's any other advice you have to help prevent this problem in the future I would appreciate it. :)

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Good to see that this is resolved. :)
Thank you for coming to Geeks To Go, and hope to see you around sometime soon.

I really don't know how this problem could have happened, so I don't have any advice on preventing it. Hope everything will work good from now on. :)