Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

booting my notebook

• Please log in to reply

t_arow

t_arow

• Pip
  • 2 posts
hey, i just got anew smartbook notebook. (issam) and i am trying to install windows on it. (the old one isnt working, i get the c000021a error).
i just dont know how to boot it into dos, the laptop doesnt have a floppy drive in it.. and it seems it doesnt respond to any bootable cds.

so two questions.

1- can you help me enter the BIOS... how do i do that in the laptop ???
2- even better if you can tell me how to install windows.

oh i forgot to mention this:
when i press Esc at startup it tells me to choose where i want to boot from
- portable device
- PM
- SM
- Network

and i would like to boot from the cd... how can i do that?

thanks alot guys

Edited by t_arow, 10 May 2005 - 10:16 PM.

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

You don't need a floppy.. all you need is your Win2000 or WinXP cd.. Boot your laptop with either in the cd-rom.. Both OS's are self-booting and you should get an option to "Boot from the cd-rom"..

Murray

Sorry, but your edit wasn't showing when I first answered..

When you start your system, during the POST sequesnce, it should tell you what key to press to enter setup..

Murray

Edited by Murray S., 10 May 2005 - 10:22 PM.

t_arow

t_arow

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
hey, the thing is that the old operating system is still installed it just doesnt work, and when i enter the cd it doesnt ask me it just ignores it and starts running the old operating system which then tells me there is an error.

thats the whole problem, is that i cant get it to read from he cd-rom ???

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
entering bios is usually done with the DEL, f1, f2 or f12 keys....I don't know this laptop....do they have a website?