Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Some type of block is happening

• Please log in to reply

TLV

TLV

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My Dell 1525 was in the middle of downloading McAfee when the power cord failed. When Dell sent me the replacement power cord free of charge and I got laptop back up I could not open my email and I cannot reload the Adobe flashplayer. Dell wants to charge me to talk to me and diagnose the problem caused by their power cord failure on my almost 1 yr old laptop.
I cannot find out what is causing these blockings of sites and downloads.

Advertisements

Doug

Doug

Visiting Consultant

• Visiting Consultant
  • 872 posts
Some of McAfee may have successfully loaded and continued to be functional in your system (possibly causing the problem).

When a software download/installation is botched ( by power failure or whatever reason) it may appear impossible to uninstall.
Downloading and freshly completing the same installation "may" complete the software installation and allow it to function as intended.

In the case of McAfee, I do not (personally) recommend its use even though some of its features are quite competent.

I'd first try to freshly complete the McAfee installation.
Then I would use Control Panel - Add/Remove to completely uninstall it.
McAfee also offers a McAfee Removal Tool http://service.mcafe...spx?id=TS100507
You may need to use it.

Don't forget to install alternate competent Antivirus, AntiSpyware, and Firewall.

Then give your machine a test drive to see if the functions (email, adobe flashplayer) can be made functional.

A huge number of "other problems" can result from when power suddenly fails, since files may be in the middle of being written and saved, or features may be in the middle of being configured by the software or the operating system.

If the above "simple" plan doesn't help you:
Consider:
Run Error Checking
Error Checking examines the File Structure of your Hard Drive (which may have been left in a somewhat scrambled state of affairs after power problem) and Error Checking will do its best to find and repair fragments, move them to their correct location, and/or recover the correct scripting.

Start - Run - (type)chkdsk /r
You will receive a "warning" that the procedure cannot be completed due to files being in use.
You will be asked if you wish to run CHKDSK when you reboot your machine.
(type)Y (for yes) - press - Enter
Then Reboot. -- To allow CHKDSK scanning to run.
Note: This can be a relatively lengthly process and you may want to run it overnight.

Post back with your results and further observations as necessary.

Best Regards

TLV

TLV

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! The removal link cleared the problem!!!!

Doug

Doug

Visiting Consultant

• Visiting Consultant
  • 872 posts
Glad that helped.

Run Error Checking anyway.

I recommend its use as a part of regular monthly maintenance.

Best Regards

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
Also make sure that you have installed a antivirus program. Avira and Avast are both free and good.