Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Please help

• Please log in to reply

syco26

syco26

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
I shut down my pc a couple of days ago and when I went to restart it I got lights but a blank screen. Hit the on button for 10 seconds then tried again and all was sweet so I thought no more of it. My wife shut it down today and when I went to start it nothing again. I could hear that the drive was spinning up, see the lights on, the lazer mouse was on but nothing else. I tried resetting it numerouse times and also holding on for 10 seconds then restarting numerous times also. I pulled the pc tower apart and gave it all a good blow out, reasembled and still nothing. Left it for a while and tried again and then all of a sudden it started again. I have a second pc hooked up through the same adsl box and have them both on a network and when my pc wouldn't load the kids pc would't see it in the network places so I take it that it isn't a display issue but a startup or hd issue. I would really love any help with this as I don't want to loose every thing on the hard drive and really don't want to have to re-install all my programs on another hd.
Details of PC are-

Computer:
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
OS Service Pack Service Pack 3
DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
Computer Name BRASSEL (Carl's PC)
User Name CARL

Motherboard:
CPU Type Intel Pentium 4, 2800 MHz (14 x 200)
Motherboard Name Intel Rock Lake D865PERL (5 PCI, 1 AGP, 4 DIMM)
Motherboard Chipset Intel Springdale i865PE
System Memory 1024 MB (PC3200 DDR SDRAM)
BIOS Type AMI (08/28/03)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:
Video Adapter GeForce4 MX 4000 (128 MB)
Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 4000 (128 MB)
3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce4 MX 4000
Monitor Plug and Play Monitor [NoDB] (6CL9020842)

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter Intel 82801EB ICH5 - AC'97 Audio Controller [A-2/A-3]

Storage:
IDE Controller Intel® 82801EB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers
IDE Controller Intel® 82801EB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers
Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive
Disk Drive ST3320620AS (298 GB, IDE)
Disk Drive SAMSUNG HD501LJ (465 GB, IDE)
Optical Drive PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-110D (DVD+R9:8x, DVD-R9:8x, DVD+RW:16x/8x, DVD-RW:16x/6x, DVD-RAM:5x, DVD-ROM:16x, CD:40x/32x/40x DVD+RW/DVD-RW/DVD-RAM)
Optical Drive SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-816B (16x/48x DVD-ROM)
SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Partitions:
C: (NTFS) 305242 MB (55883 MB free)
E: (NTFS) 476937 MB (7729 MB free)
Total Size 763.8 GB (62.1 GB free)

Input:
Keyboard Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
Mouse A4Tech PS/2 Port Mouse
Mouse HID-compliant mouse

Network:
Network Adapter 2Wire Gateway USB (10.0.0.2)
Network Adapter Microsoft TV/Video Connection (0.1.0.4)
Modem Communications cable between two computers
Modem Lucent Win Modem

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Did you try Safe Mode?
Did you try another monitor?

syco26

syco26

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
No I haven't tried safe mode or another monitor. I'm scarred if I try safe mode it won't restart. I just figured that because the second PC couldn't see it through networks then it was the pc and not a monitor issue. The monitor is only a few months old also(not that that really matters nowdays)

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Well, you have to try something. It won't fix itself...

syco26

syco26

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Well, you have to try something. It won't fix itself...

Obviously, that is why I'm here to try to figure out what I can try with out loosing every thing. I'm not a pc expert and not sure really what to do in oreder to keep every thing I have on there.
When it happened I couldn't start in safe mode as it wouldn't show anything at all on the screen. Do you suggest that I try to restart it in safe mode to see what happens?
If I restart it in safe mode and it decides not to restart like last time what would you suggest then, after I try a different monitor?
I was goin to try to back up my drive but nero back up is saying I need blooy 60 dvd disc to do it. Is it worth doing it? Or should I purchase a larger capacity external drive and do a exact copy of my hard drive to that one just incase?
Any thing else you can suggest for me to do or try?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
When you start the computer, can you see any single thing on your screen during the startup?

To answer your other question, if you're forced to go that way, surely external hard drive is the best option. You can get 500GB drive for about $70 (last time, I checked).

syco26

syco26

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Nothing on the screen at all. I pressed the on button and you hear the HD spin up and two lights light up on the front of the pc tower (one green, one red), then the red goes out and nothing more. Mouse lazer light is on but nothing else. Tried pressing alt,ctrl,del a few times to see if it would shut down again that way but nothing. It is like it was spinning up to start but then stall.

Any suggestions as to which brand external drives are any good?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

Any suggestions as to which brand external drives are any good?

It really doesn't matter that much. Just get some know brand: Western Digital, Seagate, etc.

Anyhow, did you try different monitor?

syco26

syco26

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Thanks. Not as yet. I will once I shut down my pc again. I was going to leave my pc running till I get a external drive on Friday so I can back every thing up first. Is it ok to leave a pc running that long?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
There is no problem with leaving computer on for longer time.