Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC won't boot, new mobo needed?

• Please log in to reply

aux2169

aux2169

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hey gang,

I recently moved and upon setting up computer at the new place, it won't boot up. It has booted up once after getting hung up many, many times. Upon a restart it hasn't booted up fully since.

When I turn it on, flashes one quick screen "NVIDIA GeForce 6200LE VGA BIOS V0505 - Version 5.44.02.49.00", then it jumps to a screen with a graphic of my motherboard logo "LANPARTY nF4". Then it hangs on that screen permanently.

Built the PC a few years ago
- LANPARTY nF4 board, AMD Athlon64 CPU, 4GB RAM

I'd like to avoid bringing it down the street to the PC guy if possible but figured I'd throw this out on the forum to see if anybody had any thoughts.

Thanks so much in advance.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
What you are seeing is the bios bootup that is resident on the main board. I would suspect that since you moved it, something came loose. You need to open up the computer (take the side cover off) and check ALL the connections going to the main board, optical drives and hard drives. It is possible that the hard drive cable is loose. Be careful with all the connections.

WARNING: You do this with the power off and the computer unplugged.

aux2169

aux2169

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Just double checked all the cables - still nothing.

Also FWIW - I have my iPhone connected via USB and it's not charging it. Shouldn't there be power to USBs at all times when the machine is on?

Edited by aux2169, 06 June 2009 - 01:44 PM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
USB is not active till furthur on in the boot sequence.
Can you boot in to safe mode? Usually its F8 while it is starting up. Start tapping when you turn it on.

Do you see any fans turning or any lights on the main board. Usually there is a light to indicate 5 vdc is present.
Do you here any noises such as hard drive turning?

aux2169

aux2169

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Can't load safe mode until after that screen that it hangs up on.

Two lights on the board - a red one on the bottom corner by the expansion slots and a orange one by the ram slots. Fan on the board is running. Could it be a dead battery on the board? Would it even load that far?

Can't hear the HD turning once it hits that screen.

System booted up one of the tries. I restarted to see if it was a fluke or not. It was. Still stuck on that screen. Argh.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
A dead battery won't create that problem.
A couple things to try. Carefully remove the battery for about 10 minutes. That will reset the bios to default settings.
Also go into the bios (cmos) and see if the hard drive is recognised. Usually del or esc on bootup. It might also tell on the screen (usually lower left).
Did you reseat the video card?

aux2169

aux2169

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I didnt remove the battery yet - my HD is recognized in BIOS. Then my computer started up again - it seems like its working 1 in every 10 tries - which is a little frustrating cause its not consistent. Should I still remove the battery?

I didn't reseat the video card - pretty much just unplugged all the peripherals then plugged em all back in.