Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to login into ubuntu

• Please log in to reply

Chirag64

Chirag64

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
I am unable to login into my ubuntu 9.04 which i just installed on my computer recently
Whenever i try to login, i get the following error:

user's $HOME/.dmrc file is being ignored this prevents the default session and language from being saved. file should be owned by user and have 644 permissions. user's $HOME directory must be owned by user and not writable by other users

I am a complete noob in linux. please help :)

Advertisements

hawklord

hawklord

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
can you login as root ?

Chirag64

Chirag64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
I don't know how to do that

hawklord

hawklord

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
don't know whether its the same on ubuntu - but on the version of linux i use pressing Ctrl, Alt and Backspace brings me to the login screen where i can login as root,

if you can't login as root either then i can offer no more help

please note this from the geeks-to-go terms of use

Due to the nature of online help we are not able to verify ownership, and will not be able to help bypass or recover any Windows user passwords, cd keys, license codes, serial numbers, etc.

this also applies to linux, mac, etc

from here

chamber

chamber

Face Burnin' Malware Fighter

• Visiting Consultant
  • 2,712 posts
Same thing happened to me when I upgraded to Ibex, if you can get to a terminal,

type,

sudo chown username:username ~/.dmrc
sudo chmod 644 ~/.dmrc

(where username is your account).

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts

don't know whether its the same on ubuntu - but on the version of linux i use pressing Ctrl, Alt and Backspace brings me to the login screen where i can login as root,

Due to the nature of online help we are not able to verify ownership, and will not be able to help bypass or recover any Windows user passwords, cd keys, license codes, serial numbers, etc.

from here

I would find this different with Ubuntu as it provides a boot option that allows you to log in as root. Ubuntu uses a unique security method where they sudo only keeping the root account locked. The only way to get a root shell in Ubuntu (without unlocking root which is "unsupported") is the recovery mode boot option from GRUB or sudo -i. There is not a root password in Ubuntu. More info: https://help.ubuntu....munity/RootSudo . http://www.gratisoft...o/man/sudo.html

If you can not log in to do chamber's commands, do it from the recovery mode. When prompted, select to drop a root shell. Then you can proceed with the commands but you will need to give the full path to your home directory like this:

chown -R username:username /home/username/
chmod 664 /home/username/dmrc

Edited by Titan8990, 06 June 2009 - 11:48 PM.

Chirag64

Chirag64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

from here

I would find this different with Ubuntu as it provides a boot option that allows you to log in as root. Ubuntu uses a unique security method where they sudo only keeping the root account locked. The only way to get a root shell in Ubuntu (without unlocking root which is "unsupported") is the recovery mode boot option from GRUB or sudo -i. There is not a root password in Ubuntu. More info: https://help.ubuntu....munity/RootSudo . http://www.gratisoft...o/man/sudo.html

If you can not log in to do chamber's commands, do it from the recovery mode. When prompted, select to drop a root shell. Then you can proceed with the commands but you will need to give the full path to your home directory like this:

chown -R username:username /home/username/
chmod 664 /home/username/dmrc

This solution worked for me perfectly, thank you very much.

btw, it should be
chmod 664 /home/username/.dmrc

you forgot the "."