Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

RW Drive problem

• Please log in to reply

jacktro

jacktro

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
after booting up my pc today i have noticed that my NEC DVD+RW Drive is not running properly
the light on the drive is constantly flashing on and off and also the light on my pc that indicates when the pc is busy doing something flashes in unison with the drive light, also the drive will not open
if anyone has any idea's it would help alot.
thx

Advertisements

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
Try disconnecting the information cable from it, leaving only the power connected. Make sure your computer is powered off, and unplugged when you do this, to eliminate risk of electrical shock. Then turn your computer on and see if will open. If not..

This might help. It's most likely jammed, or the eject button has issues. Try going to My Computer, right clicking on the optical drive, and choosing eject that way.(your informations cable will need to be plugged back in)

Hope this helps
-Jason

jacktro

jacktro

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
unplugged the power and ribbon conn. and reconnected them...still no good.
then noticed that a wi-fi stick i have in a usb port was also acting suspiciously!!!
moved the stick too another usb port and it works fine now...this has also some how fixed my drive problem too..!!!
i must of had some conflict between to two.
thx jason

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
Haha, odd. Well I'm glad you fixed your problem :)