Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Which Wireless Router?

• Please log in to reply

Mandysaurs Rex

Mandysaurs Rex

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I plan to get a laptop soon, and I need a wireless router, just I have no clue on how to pick a good one.

I've heard both good and bad reviews for a few different ones.

I was hoping someone here could help explain to me which wireless router is best.

I would need something that can have a long range.
Since I hope to use my laptop throughout my house.

And my current internet connection is Charter High-Speed Internet in case you need to know that.

Any other information you may need to help me to decide please ask.

Please and Thank you for your help.

Edited by Mandysaurs Rex, 06 June 2009 - 03:22 PM.

Advertisements

Untalented

Untalented

• PipPipPip
  • 431 posts
Hello Mandysaurs Rex and welcome to Geeks To Go!

Personally I like Linksys routers as they are now owned by the leading router manufacturer (Cisco). Although some may disagree I usually have an overall great experience with most Linksys routers and feel they are very easy and user friendly to setup.

Now you want to make sure at a minimum it is 802.11g compliant. Another thing you can look for is one that also is 802.11n draft compliant. The new spec 802.11n is faster and provides greater distance. However, you may need to upgrade your wireless card or make sure your laptop has a 802.11n adapter in it if you'd like to take advantage of these added benefits.

I just looked over the Linksys website and the following router meets the above standards I mentioned: WRT400N

You can find this online at Newegg for around $115. If you can settle with only 802.11g then you should be able to pick one up for around $80.

Hope this helps.

Unt