Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop shutting down/non boot

• Please log in to reply

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
That looks like a good drive.
Hope it works well with your laptop. :)

Advertisements

oberlisc

oberlisc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
So do I mate, Thanks for all your help, I'll post back when it arrives and I've fitted it.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
All right.
I would like to see how this turns out. :)

oberlisc

oberlisc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Ok mate bit of a story, installed HDD in laptop, laptop owner said they didn't want Vista back on so put XP disc in changed boot and away we go for about 30 seconds and machine shuts down, so i thought why not, so i stripped the laptop down bit dusty inside so i cleaned it out, i undone the heatsink on the processor and it come off really easy, so i cleaned heatsink and processor with Isopropanol Alcohol (excellent stuff) then put some Thermal compound on the processor then rebuilt the laptop, Ok you still with me, tried to install XP SP3 again this time it stayed on but then the computer said that there was no HDD installed on the machine, now this is the 4th time i have found this, the default settings in the bios are not always the right ones for the machine, i disabled SATA setting and the computer picked the HDD up this time, XP SP3 installed and it seem's to be working really well, used it through my wireless internet to find the drivers from HP.

Well thats it mate, THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP AND ADVICE.

Edited by oberlisc, 12 June 2009 - 05:44 PM.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Good to hear that everything went well. :)
Thank you for coming to Geeks To Go, and hope that I see you around sometime soon!