Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP randomly shuts down then restarts

• Please log in to reply

lynnwilliams

lynnwilliams

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Not sure if this is the correct forum for this or not. Not sure it's an XP problem. For over a month now my machine will just randomly shut down with no error message, no blue screen, nothing then automatically restart. I always check the Event Viewer. Originally gusvc, QBCF Monitor and avg8emc along with Intuit Update Service, Security Center and ATI Smart always show up. I turned off the Google update and the Quickbooks CF. I uninstalled and reinstalled AVG. Those 3 do not show up any longer in the Event Viewer. But Intuit Update (I turned off automatic updates on both Quickbooks and Turbo Tax so don't know what is Intuit that's set to update), ATI Smart and Security Center still show up in viewer. I've run MemTest86+ and it says memory is fine. I ran SeaTools for Windows (couldn't get the DOS version to work) and it said Long DST fail. All the others passed. I've updated my ATI drivers. My system will sometimes run for days without shutting down. Today, it's shut down 3 times already. I've blown out my CPU well! Numerous times. lol. I've checked all cords/plugs and everything is in tight. There is no consistency on the programs I'm running at the time of shut down. Usually I have my mail open (Thunderbird), Firefox, etc. but sometimes it does it in the middle of the night when I'm not even on it. Any suggestions? I'm about to pull all my hair out here!!!
Lynn

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Well, if "Long DST fail", you better hurry to back up your data, and get a new drive.

lynnwilliams

lynnwilliams

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Well, that's what I thought also....but was told SeaTools for Windows isn't that reliable because Windows is running in the background. I downloaded the DOS version but I can't get it to work.
Lynn

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Personally, I wouldn't trust any hard drive, which doesn't past a test, especially with today's hard drive prices.

lynnwilliams

lynnwilliams

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Well, that's a good point. Is there a more reliable program I can run on it? Or, in your opinion is SeaTools a good one? This HD is only a year old.
Lynn

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
On my brand new desktop, hard drive died after 6 weeks of usage.
Manufacturer test (Seatools in this case) is the most reliable test you can get.

lynnwilliams

lynnwilliams

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Any "easy" way to transfer all the "stuff"?
Lynn

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Normally, new hard drive comes with cloning program, so you you can transfer a whole image from the old hard drive to the new one.

lynnwilliams

lynnwilliams

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Okay thanks! Wish me luck!
Lynn

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts