Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

VIRTUAL MEMORY

• Please log in to reply

wendy k. walker

wendy k. walker

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Hi Everyone,

I keep getting a windows message saying that Windows is resizing my Virtual Memory.It also says that I should go to Help for more information.

OK, so I went to help to learn how to increase the size of my Virtual Memory myself, however, all I was able to fing there was the definition of what Virtual Memory was. :)

I'm running Windows XP Home Edition with SP3 installed on this machine.

Can any of you give me a step by step guide as to what I need to do to get that sucker re-sized?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Wendy

Advertisements

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts
Right click on my computer

Click Properties

Click the Advanced Tab

Click the Settings button under performance

Click the Advanced Tab in the Performance Options window

Click Change under Virtual Memory

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Make sure, you set minimum,and maximum size to the same number, usually your RAM times 1.5

wendy k. walker

wendy k. walker

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Hi Cold Titanium, Thanks for the prompt reply.

Done, Done, and All Done. :)

Hi Broni, Thanks for your speedy reply too Boo.

*Huh-Oh, :) freaking out like ditsy blond and rushing back to where I just came from*

:) Oops...! I just changed the bottom number to 1000MB.I hope that's OK as my RAM is only 128MB on this antique I call my PC.

I had left the top number alone because it was already different than the bottom one, :) and I thought that it was just a minimum allocation number, besides :) I didn't have a clue as to what it was for anyway.

I'm glad that you mentioned to set them the to the same value as when I went back my reallocation still hadn't gone into effect yet. But it did as soon as I changed the top number.

um... and the blond thingy up there is yet another joke Boo, so you guys don't go thinking that I was upset or anything.

And Cold Titanium,I want to say "Break a leg" to you, the way that actors do, to wish you luck with your GEEK training Boo...,but that doesn't seem to fit here, so maybe "Crash a PC...", one of yours of course, might be better here. "Anyway Good Luck."

Oh,and one more thing, though it's just a bit off topic for this thread.

I'm sitting here, staring at where it says "Attachments, Select a file, Attachment space used 2.33MB of 2MB" Under normal circumstances I know what that's about, however, as it was there a couple of days ago and wouldn't allow me to upload a 64KB JPG file I'd like to know what I have to do to get that thing to register zero.

Thanks for the expert help guys.

Wendy

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
XP with 128MB of RAM must be an extreme pain.
Can't you get more RAM?

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts
128MB of Ram?! I would want at least 512M to do anything in XP, like log in for instance. Wow! it really runs on only 128M? I think I'd go crazy...

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
ram is really cheap now so get at least 1 gig...you will get a huge speed bump by doing so ...go here to see exactly what ram your system needs...you do not have to buy it there.... just see what your system uses and how much you can install

Edited by happyrock, 07 June 2009 - 07:02 AM.

wendy k. walker

wendy k. walker

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Hi Broni, Cold Titanium, and happyrock, Thanks for your thoughtful replies.

Yeah Broni, I can get more RAM but I'm practicing being miserly at the moment.*Translation...I'm broke at the moment :) *

Hey Titanium, don't make fun of my 128MB machine...I mean it is after all a very valuable "Antique" Boo :) .um... and I am slowly going crazy by the way.

happyrock, I like that screen name. My uncle said that you must be an old hippie with a name like that :) .

I WISH I could install a Gig of RAM in my antique, however, as this thing uses the antiquated SDRAM, I think its called, the best I could do would be to install two sticks of 256MB for a grand total of 512MB.

I had already dashed by "Crucial" a couple of weeks ago and ran their scanner to see what I might need in this thing. :) It's $69.98 USD for that.

Shoot, I had just gotten a 1GB stick of RAM for a friend of mine and that sucker had only cost $58 bucks.

Anyway, I'm hoping that the change that I made in the Virtual Memory will help speed things along until my purse is overflowing with the green stuff again.

Thanks again for your time and help guys.

Wendy

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Yeah, those older types of RAM are usually more expensive.
With 512MB you'll see a huge difference.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

I had already dashed by "Crucial" a couple of weeks ago and ran their scanner to see what I might need in this thing. surrender.gif It's $69.98 USD for that.

Shoot, I had just gotten a 1GB stick of RAM for a friend of mine and that sucker had only cost $58 bucks.

I picked up OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory
and they threw in a Free 4GB flash drive w/ purchase, limited offer here for my new personal build for $75.00

happyrock, I like that screen name. My uncle said that you must be an old hippie with a name like that

nope...last name is Gladstone... my friends gave me the nickname happyrock years ago

Edited by happyrock, 07 June 2009 - 07:56 PM.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
<------getting jealous :)