Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

sony handycam 505 not detected by roxio

• Please log in to reply

geekess

geekess

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Despartely need help with digital video issues. Cannot get video from Sony handycam camcorder 505 into computer to edit. Installed driver that came with camcorder and it doesn't find video. Also tried Roxio and it said it doesn't detect any video device. Talked to sony for an 1 1/2 hours yesterday and no luck. Tried to update sony driver through sony support and it said it could not apply update because picture utility isnot installed.

I have also been reading about firewires and IEEE card. Do I need to intall one? I bought my computer from dell in 2004. It is a dell deminsion 4600.

When I connect camcorder my computer does show a new hardware device has been connected and I have actually gotten it to copy disc but then I can't find it on hard drive. Also it takes a long time.

I know these are a lot of issues. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. This is driving me crazy. Can't find anyone who is knowledgeable about this topic. I just want to cut out video from my dghtr's birthday when my husband forgot to turn camera off and filmed 30 minutes of the floor and ceiling.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Have you tried windows movie maker? It is already part of XP and will capture video and audio from a webcam. It is a simple and no frills editer.

geekess

geekess

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I have been told about moviemaker but I can't find it on my computer. Would it help for me to buy a webcam?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Sorry for the mis-type. You should be able to hook your handycam to it.
This is just something for you to try to see if it resolves the problem.

You wont find windows movie maker in your program group. Microsoft chose to hide it.

Look in C:\program files.....You should see a folder for Movie maker.
Double click on the moviemk.exe file
This will install the program.

geekess

geekess

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the info. I did find moviemaker on my computer but it also said "a video capture device was not detected." I connected the camcorder twice (in 2 different usb ports)and the second time the found new hardware wizard came up again. It said that the driver was not digitally signed. Could this make a difference?

I have also been told to uninstall Dell Media experience.

Edited by geekess, 07 June 2009 - 10:15 PM.