Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

STORING PASSWORDS IN FIREFOX

• Please log in to reply

wendy k. walker

wendy k. walker

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Hi Everyone,

I have been having trouble with Firefox saving passwords. I have been running FF 2.0 for the past month or so and thought that if I upgraded to FF 3.0 it might fix the problem..., well it didn't.

Although I've repeatedly ticked the box to save passwords, whenever I exit, then restart Firefox something evil seems to have came along and unticked it while FF was off. Sometime it will stay ticked for several restarts before that happens again.

Needless to say that loses whatever passwords were already stored. OK, so then I tried adding a Master Password to protect my passwords. That didn't help too much either.

I mean that the save password box is still being unticked when I close Firefox. A couple of times all I had to do was re-tick that box and every thing worked.

But then the box got unticked again and all of my passwords were gone, yet the Master Password box stays ticked.

Is this just a Firefox issue or is it malware or virus related? :) I think that it is something evil myself.

Any body have any insight on this?

Thanks for your time.

Wendy

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Tools>Options>Privacy
Do you have "Clear history when Firefox closes" ticked?

wendy k. walker

wendy k. walker

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Hi Broni, Thanks for the quick reply.

My Firefox tool>Options seems to be a bit different, however, I think the answer to your question would be yes as I have FF set to clear all of my Private Data whenever I close Firefox.

That is with the exception of my Saved Passwords. That box is unchecked. FF always tosses up a little reminder menu asking if I want to clear my Private Data, when I close it, and that box is alwasy unticked there as well.

So do I need to change something?

Thanks again for your time and help Boo.

Wendy

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Uncheck "clear all of my Private Data" for couple of days, and see how it goes.
Also, do you have any kind of cleaner running at your computer startup?

Throoper

Throoper

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
If the problem was in 2.0 and carried over to 3.0, it's probably a corrupted Key3.db file.
Do the following with Firefox closed.
Go into the Profile folder, Start>Run>type %APPDATA%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles>OK.
Open the folder that ends in .default and find and delete the Key3.db and also the signons3.txt.
Both will be regenerated when you start Firefox.

wendy k. walker

wendy k. walker

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Hi Broni and Throoper, Thanks for the quick replies.

I'm going to give what Broni suggested a try first. Then if the problem persists I'll go digging into that folder and do what Throoper said.

I'll get back and let you guys know if/when/or what gets this working right.

Thanks again for your help and time guys.

Wendy

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
:)

knogeek

knogeek

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have the same problem and tried the remedies suggested and the problem remains. :) I have another laptop and checked the signons3 file. Contents are the same on both computers. I don't know how to check the keys file. Any other suggestions.

By the way, signins stay active on IE; problem is only with Firefox.

Thank you.

Karen

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
knogeek
Please, start your own topic.

wendy k. walker

wendy k. walker

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Hi Guys,

OK, so far I've now tried both of your suggestions, and I'm still having the same problem.

Something keeps unticking the "Save Passwords" box but not the "Master Password" box.

Now, when I had first tried Throoper's suggestion I had found the key3.db and seen signons.txt, signons2.txt, and signons3.txt.

I deleted the key3.db first, and when I did the signons2.txt file had disappeared too. Then I had deleted the signons3.txt file, but left the signon.txt file alone.

Was I supposed to delete that one too?

Thanks for your time and help.

Wendy

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Did you totally "Uncheck "clear all of my Private Data" for couple of days"?

wendy k. walker

wendy k. walker

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Hi Broni, Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, and it's still unchecked, but I have the "Ask Me" box checked. Was I supposed to uncheck that one too?

Thanks for your time Boo.

Wendy

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I don't have any "Ask me" option:

Posted Image

wendy k. walker

wendy k. walker

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Aw Gee Broni,

*tongue in cheek* Well you showed me yours first... so now I guess I'll have to show you mine :) . I'm not sure but I think they mean the same thing even though they look different.

GEEKS_1.JPG

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Broni is running an earlier version of Firefox. I am not sure when the change came in, but what Wendy is showing is in version 3.0.11

The "ask me before clearing private data" is a warning. If you click on the "clear now", you get another window that has the private data you can clear such as history, searches, passwords, cookies, etc. These will not get cleared until you put a checkmark in a box and then click clear in that window.
The same box comes up with tools/ clear private data. Again nothing gets cleared till you get into the next window.