Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

zooming noise from tower

• Please log in to reply

cups

cups

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
My hard drive tower makes a zooming noise every so often like if it's powering up or something.
is there a way to stop this ?

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Describe the sound you hear more clearly. Where is it coming from (fans, hard disk)?
When does it happen (randomly?)

Download Speedfan from here: http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php
Run the program and post the temps (on the right) and the voltages (on the bottom)
Posted Image

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
Trouble with your computer Edge2022 ?

The sound might be a fan changing speed. There could also be something caught in a fan or touching it like dust/ cable.
You will need to open the case and investigate.

But checking temps and voltages could help us isolate where.

cups

cups

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Describe the sound you hear more clearly. Where is it coming from (fans, hard disk)?
When does it happen (randomly?)

Download Speedfan from here: http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php
Run the program and post the temps (on the right) and the voltages (on the bottom)
Posted Image

Hey edge Thank you yeah it sounds like from a fan it happens like every 20 minutes or so. I cleaned the two fans.

Here is the the temps and voltage

Temp 1 : 46 C
Temp 2 : 33 C
Temp 3 : 20 C
HDO : 34 C
Temp 1 : 40 C

V core 1 1.25 v
v core 2 1.47 v
+ 3.3v: 2.50 v
+ 5v: 2.47 v
+ 12v: 12.86 v
- 12v: -1.66 v
-5 v: 4.84v
v Bat 3.12

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
The temps look all right to me.

The voltages on the other hand look :)
What do you think of them 123Runner?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
I agree with that Edge2022, they do not look good. Let's take a comparison look at them.

Cups, I need you to download and install Everest (from my signature). On the left, you will need to expand computer and then go to sensor.
Please report the temperatures and the voltages.

We can also get another comparison from the bios. There should be a screen that you can access. To enter bios, it is usually del or esc at bootup. Also at bootup there will be an indication on the screen. If you can get that also, it would be great.

The noise could also be electrical coming from the power supply.
Edge2022 and I are concerned about the voltages. The voltages should normally be plus or minus 10% of the rated voltage. Depending on the power supply, they could be + or - 5 %.
Your +5vdc is 2.47, + 3.3v: 2.50 v, + 12v: 12.86 v, - 12v: -1.66 v (probably an inaccurate sensor), and -5 v: 4.84v.

123runner

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

- 12v: -1.66 v (probably an inaccurate sensor)

Everest should help us confirm that the voltages really are bad. This sensor cannot be correct. Software doesn't always give accurate voltages though. Testing your PSU with a multimeter is the only way of getting accurate numbers; but in your case, the sensors can't have that much of an error.

cups

cups

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

I agree with that Edge2022, they do not look good. Let's take a comparison look at them.

Cups, I need you to download and install Everest (from my signature). On the left, you will need to expand computer and then go to sensor.
Please report the temperatures and the voltages.

We can also get another comparison from the bios. There should be a screen that you can access. To enter bios, it is usually del or esc at bootup. Also at bootup there will be an indication on the screen. If you can get that also, it would be great.

The noise could also be electrical coming from the power supply.
Edge2022 and I are concerned about the voltages. The voltages should normally be plus or minus 10% of the rated voltage. Depending on the power supply, they could be + or - 5 %.
Your +5vdc is 2.47, + 3.3v: 2.50 v, + 12v: 12.86 v, - 12v: -1.66 v (probably an inaccurate sensor), and -5 v: 4.84v.

123runner

Thanks ! I unpluged the power supply cord from the surge protector. and connnected directly to separate outlet. Problem solved !

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
Are the voltages pretty close to the same between the 2 programs?
Can you just report to us what the voltages are?

It is nice to know that it resolved the problem.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Are the voltages pretty close to the same between the 2 programs?

Yes, please provide that info.

Anyways, it is good to see that this is resolved! :)

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

Thanks ! I unpluged the power supply cord from the surge protector. and connnected directly to separate outlet. Problem solved !

Believe you have a defective surge protectot as none of mine have ever created a situation like low voltage. Can happen if you have a defective MOV or two that didn't fail as it was suppose to. Best to use is an UPS unit.