Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVDs won't play!

• Please log in to reply

AnnJS

AnnJS

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
I bought a new computer a while ago, with the OS being good ol' Windows XP. However, attempting to play a DVD yesterday I couldn't get it to work. The CD/DVD-drive makes a lot of whirring noise and blinks, but nothing actually happens. When going to "my computer" and double-clicking the drive in question it just opens a blank window. Windows Media Player sees it as empty too, and when attempting to use the program PowerDVD (which came with my computer) I get an error, likewise Media Player Classic tells me that it "cannot find DVD directory". DVDs that I've burned myself with files and stuff work fine though, it's just actual DVD movies that I've bought that won't work.

I was completely baffled at first, but after reading around a bit I figured that it might be a DVD decoder issue. I still thought it odd though, because I've bought computers from this particular shop before and I've never had to do anything of the sort -- DVDs always played without a problem. So anyway, I downloaded the Windows XP Video Decoder Checkup Utility to take a look-see. It showed quite a lot of decoders already being there as far as I could tell (seven of them to be precise), although they were all listed as not being "compatible with the synchronization feature of Windows Media Player 10" -- I have no idea what that actually means, to be honest, but it doesn't really sound like it has anything to do with the playing of DVDs...

It's just strange, because I have codec packs installed (that should include decoders) and I have an old Roxio Easy CD & DVD Creator program (which should also include decoders) and so on. But it just won't work! I'm really frustrated, but I have no idea what else to do. Help would be very much appreciated, thanks in advance :)

Edited by AnnJS, 07 June 2009 - 06:40 AM.

Advertisements

AnnJS

AnnJS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Sounds like a problem with the movie. Even if your computer couldn't play the dvd, your system should still be able to see the files/folders inside when you go to My Computer and choose explore for the dvd drive

No, that's not it. I've tried numerous movies; none works, but they all worked fine on my old computer and they also played without problem when I then tried to play them on my dad's laptop.

But yeah, I agree with you -- the files inside should at least show up! I really have no idea what's up :)

oberlisc

oberlisc

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
How old is your DVD drive, are you trying to play Originals or back up's, it could be a firmware issue with your drive not being able to read the dye on the disc's, you could also try installing the latest K-Lite Codec pack (which comes with its own media player.

If you are computer savy, you could always try disconnecting the power cable and the ide/sata cable from the back of your drive then reconnect them (strange but sometimes fixes faults).

AnnJS

AnnJS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Try installing VLC player and see if it can play the movie.

I installed it, but no; that didn't work either. It showed the CD/DVD drive as being empty, and when I tried to open it with the "open disc" option it gave me an error saying it couldn't be opened and to check the log for more info (a log I looked high and low for, but was unable to find).

How old is your DVD drive, are you trying to play Originals or back up's, it could be a firmware issue with your drive not being able to read the dye on the disc's, you could also try installing the latest K-Lite Codec pack (which comes with its own media player.

If you are computer savy, you could always try disconnecting the power cable and the ide/sata cable from the back of your drive then reconnect them (strange but sometimes fixes faults).

I bought the computer less than a year ago, so I reckon that's how old the drive is. I'm trying to play original DVD movies that I've bought from actual stores (no bootlegs or whatever). My own backup DVDs with files -- like my digital camera photos and such -- work just fine.

The latest K-lite codec pack is actually already installed, as is the media player that comes along with that (Media Player Classic) -- which just tells me "cannot find DVD directory" whenever I try to play a movie.

Nn, I'm not too comfortable with opening up the computer and messing with cables :) Sorry!

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
If it's under 1 year old, it should be under warranty.
Before you call your computer maker...
1. VLC Player has all codecs built in, so you don't have codecs issues.
2. One of these may help:
1. Uninstall the drive through Device Manager.
Restart computer. The drive will be automatically reinstalled.
or...
2. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060
Restart computer.
or...
3. Download, and run Restore Missing CD Drive patch
Double click on cdgone.zip to unzip it.
Right click on cdgone.reg, click Merge.
Accept registry merge.
Restart computer.
or...
4. Go to Device Manager, click a "+" sign next to IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers.
You'll see two items:
- ATA Channel0 (or Primary Channel)
- ATA Channel1 (or Secondary Channel)
Right click on each of them, and click Uninstall. Confirm.
Restart Windows. They'll be automatically reinstalled.

AnnJS

AnnJS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Hey Broni, thanks to you too for trying to help. I'm pretty sure I still have warranty on it, yeah, but I just feel so dumb for calling in about this -- I can't believe I never tested playing actual DVD movies until now. Argh, I could kick myself!

Anyway, I just tried uninstalling the drive -- to no avail, sadly. I've already been to that Microsoft site, but didn't really have the nerve to mess with the registry -- I'll give it a try now though. If that doesn't work, I'll move on to that patch you posted. But, before those two, I thought I'd try the IDE ATA/ATAPI controller thing, but I'm a bit unsure what to uninstall... I have several listings there; should I uninstall them all? (I'll attach a screenshot so you can see what I mean!)

Attached Thumbnails

• list.gif

AnnJS

AnnJS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Oh, great... now it seems Windows Media Player is messed up too :) I opened it to play some music, and it won't work anymore. It just says "changing media" and nothing happens; it just hangs basically. Does this have anything to do with installing that VLC player (I uninstalled it after testing if it'd play DVDs though, seeing how I didn't really feel the need to have yet another player)?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Installing VLC Player has nothing to do with WMP problems.
As for your earlier question, uninstall all 3 "Primar", and all 3 "Secundar" channels.

AnnJS

AnnJS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Installing VLC Player has nothing to do with WMP problems.
As for your earlier question, uninstall all 3 "Primar", and all 3 "Secundar" channels.

Thanks for answering. Uninstalled them all, but that sadly didn't help either. Will try the other things now.

As for the WMP problem, logic tells me that installing/uninstalling VLC Player shouldn't have anything to do with it -- but it just seems unlikely that it's a coincidence. I mean, it stopped working directly afterwards!

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I understand your reasoning, but in my opinion, pure coincidence.
Use System Restore to go 1 day back, and it'll tell.