Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Logging in to my home workgroup password not needed

• Please log in to reply

charliewykes

charliewykes

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
Hi,

On my home XP wireless network and workgroup I have encryption enabled. To access the network any PC needs to have its MAC address recognised by the router and provide the password.

My wife's work XP laptop can also log in automatically as there is a wireless network connection established on her machine with the password set up. This gives the machine internet access.

She can also log into any of the machines on the workgroup by navigating to the workgroup and clicking on a machine. Up comes a dialogue box asking for the username and password to log onto the selected machine. She can print, access shared folders etc which is great.

The odd part is she can enter anything in the username box and NOT provide a password and she's logged into the machine on the workgroup.

Is this a security risk? If so how do I overcome it? If it isn't much of a risk as a rogue machine would have had to log into the router first anyway (I hope) is it possible to remove this step comletely, ie by logging onto the wireless network her machine automatically joins the workgroup?

thanks

Advertisements

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Hello charliewykes,

Hmm, I haven't heard of such a thing, it might be because of XP Home, but I am not sure. As far as I am concerned you -need- to fill in a password in order to access a machine.

Have you set up shares on the machine that is being accessed? Have you set proper NTFS / sharing permissions?

Regards,
Olrik

charliewykes

charliewykes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
The only folder shared is the XP home 'shared folder' on each XP home machine and the printers attached to one of the home machines. As for permissions, I'm not sure what I can and can't set in XP home to be honest.

From any of the XP home machines on my home workgroup I can se my wife's laptop workgroup and her machine inside it but can't access it. Her laptop can see the home workgroup and can access it - by providing any username and no password in the login box that pops up when she clicks on a machine in the home workgroup.

to be honest its not a problem in many ways but i have a nagging fear about security... although I presume someone would have to get access to my wireless network before they could see and accces machines in my home workgroup?

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Hello charliewykes,

As for permissions, I'm not sure what I can and can't set in XP home to be honest.

Now that you say.. I don't think Home can set NTFS permissions the way Pro can..

to be honest its not a problem in many ways but i have a nagging fear about security... although I presume someone would have to get access to my wireless network before they could see and accces machines in my home workgroup?

This is correct. :)

Just make sure you got your wireless network locked down and you'll be fine, actually.

Regards,
Olrik

charliewykes

charliewykes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts