Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Confused?

• Please log in to reply

jeeplette

jeeplette

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
We just tried to install new RAM. Now it will not get past the XP screen it says widows failed to start properly screen with safe mode option. Not able to select anything. I can get into bios and move freely but I'm not getting anywhere. Then replaced the new Ram with the old RAM and get the same resultes. Please help! :tazz:

Advertisements

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
uh oh! try to solve a problem and create a new one...thats no good!
OK, go into BIOS, and check the ram settings. they may have been done up specifically for the other ram...
there should be an option for the ram settings that says "by spd" this will allow the settings to be configured by the motherboard, based on what the ram reports it can do.
if that doesnt work, give me the make/model of your motherboard, and dig up the manual if you have it.
also tell me make/model of your PC, like if its a dell, HP, compaq, etc.

jeeplette

jeeplette

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
I have a setting under CMOS Setup that says DRAM Timing by SPD and then it says yes. Motherboard is a VIA and we dont know what the model is. The books at my Moms. Make/model of my PC is homemade.

I dont know if this has anything to do with it but in the CMOS Setup it also says DRAM Command Rate is 2T.

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
the model number for the mobo is probably on the board somewhere.
the command rate seems low to me, can you change it? if so, set it to 3T.
sounds like you might know your way around the BIOS some. if so, you could always try the "load optimized default" setting, and then change anything that is needed in BIOS regarding drive settings, etc.

jeeplette

jeeplette

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
OK We feel totally stupid. A CD was in the drive and as soon as we took it out and rebooted, it started properly. But should I still change to 3T and what does that do? I am currently running 768mb of RAM under system in control panel. Thanks so much.........Once again, saved twice in one night!

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
lol a cd...I wouldnt worry about the 2t rating if its working, in general, the lower the numbers for ram timing, the better. now I am confused as to why its only showing 768 ram...do you have a 512 stick and a 256 stick installed?
ideally, have the 2 matching 512 sticks in the dual channel slots, to take full advantage of your FSB.
glad it was something simple...had me wondering what was going on with your system there!

jeeplette

jeeplette

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
I have 2-256 ddr PC2100 and a 256 PC2100 (not ddr). I have only 3 slots for RAM on this computer (our other computer--that we were asking about on another thread in this same topic--has 4 slots) and I don't have any clue about it being dual or single channel. The motherboard has a chip on it that says VIA VT8233. I don't know if that's the model or not....any ideas?

Edited by jeeplette, 11 May 2005 - 12:24 AM.

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
yeah, lets go back to the other topic you had posted, which led to the error tht started this one...
you said you had two 512 sticks of PC3200. you would want to load them in channels 1 & 3, or 2 & 3, to take advantage of the dual channel FSB.
or are we talking about a different PC here?
if I am totally confused here, let me know. but the principle is still the same as from the other topic, the 2 matched sticks loaded in the dual channel slots will give you the most speed with the front side buss.

jeeplette

jeeplette

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
This is a totally different PC.

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
ah, different PC, it all makes sense now.
that via vt8233 chip you mentioned will be part of the chipset. the mobo make model is usually screened onto the board in fairly large letters. any chance this is the kv400?
I mostly want to check your board to see if it supports the dual channel ram config. if yes, then the best choice for you is to use the 2 sticks of DDR. if not, then load the single channel ram as well, no problem.