Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

nv4_disp display driver

• Please log in to reply

TheExplorer

TheExplorer

• Pip
  • 5 posts
When I use my computer normally (IE, word, excel), no probs. However, whenever I use a program that involves my graphics card, I have an issue where the computer randomly locks up and I have to do a forced rebot. I have tried updating/reinstalling card drivers, Updating directX, even updating bios, no relief. Have run CCleaner, which initially seemed to make the crashes less frequant, but not anymore.

Currently I am playing "Rome - Total War," (oldie but goodie) which should be well within my machine's capacity (XP Pro, SP3; 3.0 GHz; 2.0 GB RAM; Nvidea GeForce 7600GT.)

When I get the crash screen locks up, then shows error titled "Display driver stopped responding." First line of message says "nv4_disp display driver has stopped working normally . . ." Then screen goes black and I do the forced power down/reboot.

Perhaps its time for a new graphics card, but I sure don't want to spend the $$ if that is not the problem. I don't play the games a ton anymore (time). I am totally happy with my older machine playing my older games, presuming I can get it to work like it should.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Let's look alittle deeper into the crash.

Download WhoCrashed from the link in my signature below
This program checks for any drivers which may have been causing your computer to crash....

Click on the file you just downloaded and run it.
Put a tick in Accept then click on Next
Put a tick in the Don't create a start menu folder then click Next
Put a tick in Create a Desktop Icon then click on Install and make sure there is a tick in Launch Whocrashed before clicking Finish
Click Analyze
It will want to download the Debugger and install it Say Yes

WhoCrashed will create report but you have to scroll down to see it
Copy and paste it into your next reply

TheExplorer

TheExplorer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for the help. The results of WhoCrashed are below.

On Sun 6/7/2009 4:18:50 PM your computer crashed
This was likely caused by the following module: nv4_disp.dll
Bugcheck code: 0xEA (0x8A197938, 0x893ADDE0, 0x8A1BF9F0, 0x1)
Error: THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\nv4_disp.dll
product: NVIDIA Compatible Windows 2000 Display driver, Version 185.85
company: NVIDIA Corporation
description: NVIDIA Compatible Windows 2000 Display driver, Version 185.85

Note, I have had this problem for a while, through multiple Nvidea driver updates. Used to have a very similar problem with World of Warcraft (back when I had time to play), although then I would lock up with out the "nv4" error message.

TheExplorer

TheExplorer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Still having the above described issues, and have not had any proposed solutions. Do I need to get a new video card? I would appreciate any help anyone can give.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
"You responded briefly to my query last weekend, but after providing the WhoCrashed dump, I heard nothing further. Am I just SOL? Thanks,"

I do apologize for the delay but I have had some problems here. Tuesday we had a fire and had to deal with insurance adjuster. Just finally got that worked out yesterday and then 3 hours ago we got caught in a flash flood and now trying to clean up a little so we can live somewhat normal. :) :) :) :)

On to your issue. Go HERE and get the newest driver named :

Version: 185.85
Release Date: May 06, 2009
Operating System: Windows XP, Windows XP Media Center Edition

Boot into Safe Mode and uninstall the current driver. Once that is done reboot into Normal Mode and install the new driver. Let me know how this works.

TheExplorer

TheExplorer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for your help.
I am still getting the crash problem. I rebooted in safe mode, uninstalled the drivers, rebeooted normally, and then reinstalled the current drivers (then rebooted again, for good measure.) Played for over an hour, but then got the same crash. New WhoCrashed report is below.
Any other suggestions? Thank you.

On Sun 6/21/2009 3:19:25 PM your computer crashed
This was likely caused by the following module: nv4_disp.dll
Bugcheck code: 0xEA (0x895BD9F0, 0x8A49F5E8, 0x8A67E788, 0x1)
Error: THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\nv4_disp.dll
product: NVIDIA Compatible Windows 2000 Display driver, Version 185.85
company: NVIDIA Corporation
description: NVIDIA Compatible Windows 2000 Display driver, Version 185.85

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
When you booted into safe mode did you go in to the Administrator logon or into your account with Admin rights?
You have to be signed in as Administrator

TheExplorer

TheExplorer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Wow! Wouldn't have thought of that on my own, as my normal login has Admin rights. I hadn't used my administrator login since I first set up the computer. Only took me a couple hours to guess the right password. :)

Redid your above suggestion under the "Administrator" login. I will let you know what happens.

Thanks!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thanks for the update. I will continue to monitor for your results.