Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

shgina.dll won't let Vista load

• Please log in to reply

texas_buckeye_nut

texas_buckeye_nut

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My daughters Toshiba laptop has developed an start up problem. Before the login screen, I get a Bad Image, system32\shgina.dll error. Says "not designed to run on Windows or contains an error. When I click ok, I receive the error again. I click ok again, and it either goes to a blank screen and freezes, or goes to the login page. Sometimes it freezes there, and sometimes I can enter the password, which then goes to a blank screen and freezes.

I have run the Vista repair without success. I have tried Safe Mode, which runs through the drivers, then restarts with the same results.

I do not know what this file is or does, and cannot get into Windows to replace it. I do not have a recovery disk for this unit. Can this be loaded through DOS? PLEASE HELP!!

As an XP lover, I'm wondering if this is one of those common problems with Vista everyone complains about, or if this is likely a malware issue. Thanks

Advertisements

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
Nope, this is most likely either an issue with the security of the system (from a virus) or a corruption of the shgina.dll (which shouldn't occur because of the System File Protection feature).

If your laptop didn't come with recovery DVD's then it's probably one of those that requires that you make them yourself. If you're not able to get into Windows to make them, then you'll have to order them from Toshiba.

FYI - these disks will erase everything on your hard drive, so if there's anything that you want to save, please post back for some suggestions on how to save your stuff.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
I have replaced the gina dll file before in XP safe mode, SFC wont bother seeing it there. It's called msgina.dll though in XP. Custom company login screens :)

Anyway, you should be able to expand the shgina.dll file off the Vista disc using the recovery console, or using a Linux or PE bootable environment.

Or, you can try to use something like ERD Commander and edit the registry remotely, copy over the .dll file to a different location and just reference the new file in the registry.

You have plenty of options! :)

Edited by Cilix, 08 June 2009 - 03:04 PM.