Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My computer is fried?! Will someone please help?

• Please log in to reply

phatass303

phatass303

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I came home from Mongolian Stir-fry expecting to play a little WoW, but when I went to turn on the computer, many problems came up. First, the only sign of power in the computer was the green light on the tower itself after pressing the power button. The fan wasn't turning on, nor were the keyboard, mouse, and monitor. It was working fine last night. Can someone please help me decipher this problem??

Scenario-

I turn on PC
Only green power light lights up
Monitor, keyboard, and mouse unresponsive
Hold in power button to turn off, but nothing happens

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Need more info, what type of computer?
Make and Model
If it is a desktop have you opened it up to check the fans inside?
CPU fan
Second case cooling fan
Have you cleaned the inside?
Any updates done to software or hardware
Anything downloaded from the internet prior to issue
Any new software installed prior

phatass303

phatass303

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
It's a Compaq Presario desktop computer

I opened it up (a lot of dust), but how do I check the fans if they are working properly??

I haven't downloaded anything, I only played WoW, turned off the system, then went to bed.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

It's a Compaq Presario desktop computer

I opened it up (a lot of dust), but how do I check the fans if they are working properly??

I haven't downloaded anything, I only played WoW, turned off the system, then went to bed.

You need to buy a can of compressed air and blow the system out. Check the fans to see if they are even turning when the system is turned on. If not you may have a MOBO issue or the fans are just stuck. If the latter then the overheating may be causing your issue.
Regardless the system sounds like it needs a good cleaning out. Let me know what you discover.

phatass303

phatass303

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Okay, I will five it a try. The fans weren't even turning on, but I will see what happens after I clean it out.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK, thank you for the update.
i will continue to monitor this topic for your reply. :)

phatass303

phatass303

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Am I allowed to post a video link here? I could just record what is happening and it may be easier for you to see the problem.

Well, after cleaning it, nothing changed. My computer acts as if the power button is just there to light the LED light. I turn it on and hear no sounds at all. The light goes on, that's it. :)

Edited by phatass303, 07 June 2009 - 01:55 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It sounds like a bad MOBO at this point. If no fans like the CPU fan are turning then it sounds like the MOBO has died.
The video won't do much good unless you can show the inside when turning the system on. Is the PSU fan turning when you click on the power button?
If it continues to run and still nothing then I would say the MOBO. It could be a CPU issue but I highly doubt it at this point.

I will ask another Tech Staff to take a look and to verify my suspicions and let you know.

phatass303

phatass303

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Video link: http://i71.photobuck...nn/MVI_3493.flv

phatass303

phatass303

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I know some about computers, but not a lot. What is MOBO?

Advertisements

phatass303

phatass303

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Ah, I looked it up; mother board. This saddens me if that is the case because I just replaced this mother board a year ago.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Looking at the video the fan that shows i take it is the CPU fan?
It doesn't turn at all. It should be connected to the MOBO and unless it is bad the MOBO is not powering up correctly.

phatass303

phatass303

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I checked the connections; the fan is properly connected to the mother board. I might just buy a new PC; I think I have been needing one anyways. This one has been giving me problems ever since I bought it.

phatass303

phatass303

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
2 of my graphics cards broke on this system, and the mother board was already replaced. With all the money I'm putting into this, I could have had a more dependable computer I think.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ok per a Administrator suggestion you may have a weak PSU. Compaq's are known for this and could be causing the problem. In order to test ti you will have two options.

First is to try a different PSU. The problem with this is to try a different PSU is not the problem. To replace it will be as Compaq's PSU's are usually smaller then conventional PSU's.

Second is to purchase a PSU tester like the ones HERE
What you will be looking for is a failing or failed 12V Rail on the PSU

Please let me know how you would like to proceed.