Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My computer is fried?! Will someone please help?

• Please log in to reply

phatass303

phatass303

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I replaced the original power supply 11/07 with Thermaltake TR2 W0070RUC 430W ATX12V Power Supply - Retail (http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817153023) to run my 9600 graphics card. Do you think this PSU could have failed due to too much power needed with too little to supply?

Advertisements

phatass303

phatass303

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I took out the PSU; it is sitting on my lap. Now I need to buy something in order to test if it is working or not?

Edited by phatass303, 07 June 2009 - 04:51 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It's possible that the PSU couldn't handle it but I think it's more that the PSU is just failing.
I personally suggest nothing lower then a 500 watt and maybe more if you can afford it.
The testing of the PSU will require you to buy the tester I referenced before.
I would suggest you go HERE and use the PSU Calculator to determine exactly what wattage you need to run everything correctly and for future upgrades. Let me know what you find out and I can help with suggesting a new PSU if you so chose to go that route.

phatass303

phatass303

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
The PSU is the problem :) phew. I just swapped the PSU from this dell, plugged it into the compaq, and turned on the power. All the fans turned on and the system was making sound again. I will go to the store when my brother gets home from work and buy a new PSU.

Thanks for all your help :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Congratulations. :) for a successful resolution for your issue. I am happy everything has been worked out for you. With that being said I am happy to say:

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed me to assist you with your issue and for your patience. Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :) :)
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible

If you are happy with the service I provided, please consider making a donation to GeeksToGo to support the Free Technical Support offered. Go HERE to make a donation.