Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Local Area Connection problem on PC however internet is fine on mac/la

• Please log in to reply

Wofitz

Wofitz

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi!

I'm currently having trouble connecting to the internet on my PC. It was all working fine until a few hours ago, i've tried restarting both the PC and router but have had no luck. In the diagnostic it says there's a problem with the Local Area Connection and to plug the cable in however nothing has been removed/added/moved at all. It is networked with a wireless router though my pc is connected via the usual wire as it didn't like the wireless at the time, though it works now as both laptops and iphones can connect to it just fine. It's connected to a network of my PC, my dads mac and my sisters laptop - the mac and laptop are able to connect to the internet as normal which rules out the router/internet host and such.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Advertisements

Untalented

Untalented

• PipPipPip
  • 431 posts
Hi Wofitz and welcome to Geeks To Go. Please do the following:

Step 1 - Check Device Manager:
  • Click Start
  • Click Run
  • Type devmgmt.msc
  • Click OK tab
  • Click the Device Manager button
  • Expand the Network Adapters group
Do you see your network adapters there? Does it have a red X? If you don't see it there do you have a Unknown or Other Devices group (Would have items with a yellow exclamation point infront of them)? What's in there if anything?

Step 2 - Determine your Default Gateway and DNS Addresses:
  • Select Start
  • Click Run
  • Type cmd and click Ok
  • In the new command prompt window, please type the following commands:
    • ipconfig /all
  • Make note of the Default Gateway and DNS Servers
Step 3 - Connectivity test:
  • Please type in the following commands into the cmd prompt:
    *Note: each ping will take approximately 10 seconds to complete; wait for the command prompt to return before you type the next one. Also, the single '>' and double '>>' are intentional; please type the commands exactly as they appear*
    • ipconfig /all > C:\results.txt
    • route print >> C:\results.txt
    • ping 127.0.0.1 >> C:\results.txt
    • ping DefaultGateway >> C:\results.txt
    • ping DNSServer1 >> C:\results.txt
    • ping DNSServer2 >> C:\results.txt
    • ping google.com >> C:\results.txt
    • ping 209.85.171.100 >> C:\results.txt
  • Once the above commands have completed, navigate to your C: drive and open the text file results.txt -- please copy/paste the contents of this file into your next response.

Unt

Untalented

Untalented

• PipPipPip
  • 431 posts
Forgot to ask if you were on Vista or XP on this machine. If you're on Vista you can just type the command in the search box vs. click Run. So for example you can click Start and type devmgmt.msc directly into the search box then press enter.