Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

No sound/registry corruption after re-installing XP Pro

• Please log in to reply

Roaku

Roaku

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Well, after my computer was over-run by trojans, problems and the lot I decided to fully re-install Windows XP Pro on my computer.

Just as I did so, my sound card becomes 'unworkable.' I know for certain that it works. It was just fine before I reinstalled XP.

Now I don't have sound anywhere, and I think this is because I'm missing a 'controller' from my sound and gaming device. I tried getting that sound controller but its nowhere to be found in my 'to be installed' devices. I also tried uninstalling my sound card and reinstalling but to no avail.

I'm starting to think these two are interconnected errors.

There have been a lot of registry corruption as well. I cannot install my Antivirus because of the registry corruption (checksum) error that pops up. I've never had this happen when I previously reinstalled my computer.
But both problems do not go away even when I again re-install my XP Pro...

I've reinstalled it thrice now, and the problem persists, what can I do?

I've also noticed, perhaps it could help, that there are pop-ups from microsoft which says that a program had crashed or come to errors, while I have no programs running at all. Could this be a virus that is sitting somewhere deep in my computer?

Edited by Roaku, 07 June 2009 - 02:17 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If you did a full format and install there should not be any registry errors.
Did you do a full format or a Repair Installation?

Roaku

Roaku

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I did a Full Format. Not repair not recover not anything.

I shouldn't have any registry problems, but I do.
Perhaps this is because I have a D: drive and a C: drive?
I reinstall my new version of XP on the C: drive while keeping the old format on the D: drive?

I did just now reformat, to NTFs, the D: and C: drives, then reinstalled yet again the XP Pro. Still get checksum error while installing McAfree antivirus (this did not occur before) and my sound card is said to have not installed properly due to errors.

What can I do?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If the problem did not occur until installing McAfee then uninstall it it. Does the problem continue after uninstall?
Get Avast AV from my signature below
It is free and won't use the resources McAfee does. Register it and you will get free updates for a year. After the year just re register it for another year. It updates almost daily on my system. :)

Edited by rshaffer61, 08 June 2009 - 08:09 AM.