Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer running SUPER SLOW! =( HDD LED stays on

• Please log in to reply

Ashley Poole

Ashley Poole

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
After I got all the viruses/malware off my computer...it's running slower than ever.

I'm not sure if it's because of what I'm using to keep viruses off:
SuperAntiSpyware, Comodo SafeSurf, Comodo Firewall, AVG. Maybe the programs don't work well together or something. I was thinking, also, it could be running slow due to drivers/settings for the computer or internet. I use Mozilla Firefox browser.

It takes like 15 minutes to load on start-up now and it's even 10 times slower when i use any program on my computer or get on the internet. I'm also getting tons of error messages from programs because they close unexpectedly and it's driving me nuts. My computer is running so slow and it's NEVER acted like this before.(only when the computer was infected--but I'm 100% that it's clean now)
It's always been fast when I'm on the internet, I have been able to play games fine in the past, now I can't play games for the computer stopping or being non responsive.

My HDD LED stays on 99% of the time like programs are taking up tons of memory usage. Sometimes it looks like it's on solid, then other times like it's justflashing rapidly. There are possibly other things running that I don't know about but really don't need running. I'm not sure what processes belong to what program so I am scared to mess with that without help. If a process belongs to a program that I do not use or need I would rather make sure that it isn't running.

I would really appreciate the help because I can't have any fun on my computer like this. I like to write a lot and can't even use Word to write my songs and poems for fear of it closing like it's done before and me losing all my hard work. =(

Thanks, in advance, for any help to diagnose or fix what's going on here. I will keep this window open and refresh the page frequently to see if I get a response from someone so I can do what you say to get the ball rolling...as I have no clue what to do or where to start.

Ashley

Advertisements

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Sounds like a hard drive failure waiting to happen. I would back up all of your data NOW, especially like you stated you have a lot of data you want to save.

Try download Drive Fitness Test here, run a long scan, and post up your results. http://www.hitachigs...rt/download.htm

Edited by Cilix, 08 June 2009 - 03:07 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

After I got all the viruses/malware off my computer...it's running slower than ever.

How did you get all the infections off?
Did you go through the Malware forum and recieve a clean bill of health or did you do this yourself?

If you did not use the Malware Forum then:

I suggest you go to the Malware Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post the reguested logs in THAT forum. If you are unable to run any of the tools then start a new topic in the malware forum and put this in the subject line...I am unable to run any malware tools

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Ashley Poole

Ashley Poole

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
I went through the Malware forum. Essexboy helped me get everything off. =)
I seriously hope that I'm not gonna have my hard drive fail me now.
How do I backup everything on my computer?
And I went to do the Drive Fitness Test, but it says I need to make a bootable diskette. But there are a couple problems. [[I'm not sure if I could put it on cd or not]]
1-I do not have a floppy drive on my computer
2-I cannot burn CDS because that's just another problem I have with my computer--it acts like it's gonna burn, but it never finishes. I get an error message. I use Sonic RecordNow. Any ideas on this?

So how am I gonna be able to do this test? Sorry, but I'm not an expert at computers....and you are =)....so please advise.

Thanks so much for the super fast reply-
Ashley
PS--as of right now, I closed out all the programs I was telling you about earlier and the HDD light is not constantly on. Could these programs really use that much memory? And I have twice as much free space than what I use...I thought this had something to do with how fast your computer is. Its a pentium 4, as well...

Edited by Ashley Poole, 08 June 2009 - 03:20 PM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Is AVG the version with firewall as two firewalls could cause a similar problem ?

Ashley Poole

Ashley Poole

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
I believe you are right....

Resident Shield on AVG is a firewall, right? (silly question...I know)
I thought I only had windows firewall, which I don't really trust or care for...and I didn't think AVG had a built in firewall, & I heard comodo was really good and downloaded it.

I prefer Comodo Firewall over any other Firewall I have used...maybe I'm partial for the nifty "IMMUNIZE" function and I can see it actively protecting my computer...however, I have never seen a message from AVG about a firewall asking for permission to allow/block something.

What are your suggestions?

Thanks again for responding so quickly!
Ashley

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
I'll have to check that out as I don't use AVG - I will have an answer tomorrow as I am off to bed now

Ashley Poole

Ashley Poole

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
thank ya thank ya! =) will check back tomorrow

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Answer :)

Ashley Poole

Ashley Poole

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Well, I had AVG 8.5 so it was a little different, but I figured it out. As of right now, the computer is running the same but I will restart it and see if that helps and post back. If not...then I guess my last option would be to uninstall Comodo, right? =( haha....Will be back soon...

Also...have any clue about the problem with me burning CDS or is this even the right forum to ask about that? BRB...

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
If you run AVG free then there is no built-in firewall. If you suspect Comodo uninstall and see if there is any difference. There can be lots of reasons for a slow computer beside malware (failing hard disk or wrong data transfer mode are just two examples).

Go to Task manager > processes. Look in CPU column and see if there are any processes that constantly take about 10% or more. Please ignore System Idle Process.

Ashley Poole

Ashley Poole

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Ok...well I turned off AVG Resident Shield....restarted the computer. It was still the same...very slow start-up...lagging...then I remembered:

I still had Windows Firewall turned on! (I'm such an idiot sometimes! lol) *bangs head on desk*

So I went and turned that off, made sure Superantispyware didn't run on start-up. The HDD light is no longer constantly staying on! =)

Thanks a lot---I would have never even thought about the firewall thing.

Hopefully this problem is solved for good! I will make sure after this that I don't make the same mistake twice.

Thanks for both of you lending a hand with me! =)

Y'all have a nice day and a great weekend!
--Ashley

Ashley Poole

Ashley Poole

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

If you run AVG free then there is no built-in firewall. If you suspect Comodo uninstall and see if there is any difference. There can be lots of reasons for a slow computer beside malware (failing hard disk or wrong data transfer mode are just two examples).

Go to Task manager > processes. Look in CPU column and see if there are any processes that constantly take about 10% or more. Please ignore System Idle Process.

OK, I did this just to double check...there are no processes that say 10 or above on CPU.

Actually all of them were at zero 99% of the time when I looked and when they did change the number it was always under 5. As you said for me to ignore system idle, I didn't fret when I seen that this one did say 98. =)

Well since I had forgot & left Windows Firewall on after installing Comodo, I would say that was the culprit!

I can actually do stuff on my computer now! [[yay!]]

Thanks for the help =)

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I am not sure I understand what you did. AVG free has no firewall built into it. If you disabled Resident Shield then you disabled real-time protection, which is not good. If you had two firewalls running at the same time and you disabled one then you did the right thing. Some firewalls like Norton and ZoneAlarm disable Windows firewall as you install them. when you remove them, Windows firewall is reenabled. I am not familiar with Comodo.

The bottom line: If you run AVG without the Resident Shield then your computer is hardly protected and that should be rectified. If you had two firewalls running and you left only one, then you did the right thing.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Thanks for letting us know. I wrote my last post before seeing your last reply. Just recheck AVG (resident shield).