Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

No sound :(

• Please log in to reply

MrFeenee

MrFeenee

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
Aha! you thought I was complete and happily enjoying my new nifty pc but, alas! another problem!!

No audio :)

My only inkling (yes I just used that word) is that I have this small, unused attachment that says speaker on it. its a little round piece with a small female connector (kind of looks like a tadpole lol).

Not sure what to do with it or if its in any way related to my problem.

Also Im not using a sound card (if that makes a difference)

Edited by MrFeenee, 09 June 2009 - 12:26 AM.

Advertisements

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
That little "tadpole" should plug in at the bottom right corner of your motherboard - Next to the connections for the front switches, (PowerLED, Reset, etc..). Mines at the bottom right anyhow - I'm currently using a Gigabyte ep35-ds3r. What are you using?

MrFeenee

MrFeenee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
I have no idea. :)

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
Er - seeing as you built the Pc, I kinda thought you would know which motherboard you have. :)

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
Hmm.. Double post, my bad.

Edited by OpenOutcome, 08 June 2009 - 10:52 PM.

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
You must've misread the question.. anyways, I found out your board is an ASRock A780GXE. Have you found where the little speaker thingy plugs in? Can't find any good pics online, but look down near the red Sata plugs on the mobo..

Also, I just took mine out, and I still have audio :) So that can't be the problem. Check for driver errors..

1: Start > Run
2: Type in devmgmt.msc
3: Click Enter
4: Look for any entries with Yellow Exclamation marks or Red X's

??

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
Also, which port are you plugging speakers into - front or back? Make sure it's the right one, should be green.

Another idea: You may have to update your chipset drivers.

MrFeenee

MrFeenee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Yea ive found where the little speaker thing plugs in. Doing this sound enable my speakers in the green port to work? even though they arent connected?

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
Wait.. what? Your speakers have to be in the green port to get sound.. yes.
Like I said though, I'm just using onboard audio as well, and taking out the tadpole, I still have sound. Hm, I don't know what it's for. Maybe Troy knows.

MrFeenee

MrFeenee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
oh ok gotcha. I thought you had to use the tadpole thingy. I Think I need my HD Audio port connected to the MOBO in order for the green port to work. Unfortunately its on the opposite side of the MOBO so im having problems connecting it.

Advertisements

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
Well there should be two... The port in the back of the comp that's attached to the motherboard, so you don't need to plug anything in, and then the front panel audio wire that is hooked to the case. And yes, it stretches across thee board - it's a pain. But should be enough length.

MrFeenee

MrFeenee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
i stretched the HD audio cord all the way to the bottom, and found a way for it to connect. Still no sound. Any other ideas? :)

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
Which port are your speakers plugged into? The front or back?

MrFeenee

MrFeenee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
front.

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
Navigate to Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Realtek HD Audio Manager.

On the right, make sure the green port is the one clear. Double click it and make sure it's ticked as Front Speaker Out. Make sure no sounds are muted. Right click the sound icon on the system tray next to the clock and choose playback devices. Make sure speakers have the green checkmark, and are set as default device.

Edit: Try back speaker port as well.

Edited by OpenOutcome, 09 June 2009 - 12:19 AM.