Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Replace XP hard drive with Vista hard drive

• Please log in to reply

tsunali

tsunali

• Pip
  • 6 posts
My "not yet 1 year old" HP Pavilion Elite desktop motherboard just bit the dust. It is still under warrenty. The Vista 64 bit hard drive is intact and I need to remove data off of it before sending it off for repairs. The HP guys say that it will take at least a week to repair. I have a Dell XP desktop that has a dead hard drive. Can I swap them out and remove what I need before sending it off.

(Yes, I know I should have had a backup on my thumb drive. I was working on the new documents when the system went down, so I didn't get the opportunity to back it all up afterward.)

Is this an option and how difficult is it, as I am a hardware novice. I am always afraid of messing with the inner "guts" of the computer. I really don't want to mess up my good hard drive either. Please help a girl out... :)

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Some cases have a "warranty" tag stuck across the side of the case where the side comes off. If this is broken they'll argue the warranty is null and void, though taking the side off doesn't invalidate anything. Technically doing anything inside the machine invalidates the warranty but that being said if you're really careful (and there is no warranty sticker on the outside of the case) you should be able to remove the drive and get off what you need. HP will not be responsible for your data and it's more likely you'll end up with the drive having been wiped.

PcTestCard

PcTestCard

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
If you want to get the Vista to work on the Dell PC using the HP PC HDD so you can back up the files you needed, I am afraid you cannot.

Vista and XP including all NT based OS cannot work this way, maybe you can install the HP HDD on the Dell PC as a slave drive, but you still need a working HDD with working OS like XP on Dell PC first.

Hope this helps!
Bill
Tech manager
www.PcTestCard.com

Edited by PcTestCard, 09 June 2009 - 04:59 AM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
The options you have are to find a friend that will allow you to slave your HP drive to their computer. The other option is to either purchase and external case for the drive, or again find a friend that has an external case that you can use.
Either way, you will need a friend that can help you out.

If you need any furthur assistance please do not hesitate to ask.

123runner

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

Technically doing anything inside the machine invalidates the warranty

Whoa! That is NOT true! Those warranty void stickers mean nothing! Users have the Right to open the side of "their" case, upgrade RAM, add a drive, new fan, or swap out video cards. More importantly, they have the responsibility to keep the interior of their cases clean of heat trapping dust and dirt. PC makers can put stickers everywhere, it does not matter! As long as there are "user serviceable" parts inside, you have the right, as a consumer, to open it up, and do whatever maintenance you need to do - as long as it is done correctly. Computers have fans that constantly suck dust, dirt, and hair inside. Users MUST, as a "user responsibility", open the case to inspect (I recommend monthly) and clean as necessary. No warranty covers damage due to heat buildup as the result of user neglect!

If there are no user serviceable parts inside a device, such as the interior of a hard drive for example, then breaking the seal and opening the hard drive case might void the warranty on the hard drive - this is because hard drives are sealed to keep dust out. Damage may result just by breaking the dust seal, and exposing the platters to contaminants. But there are many user serviceable parts inside a PC.

Understand that most independent PC assemblers, including yours truly, feel those stickers are nothing more than a scam to coerce and scare owners in to having all maintenance, including upgrade purchases, done through them. Consumer protection laws protect us from such abuse. Automobile makers tried the same thing and were shot down long ago. You can do all the maintenance (routine and otherwise) in your own backyard, as long as you do it correctly, using any oil and parts that meet industry standards, and not void your warranty (just keep good records and receipts for supplies). The big electronics firms tried that with TVs - yet tube testers were in every drug, grocery, and hardware store because we had the right to break the seal, remove the back, pull the tubes, and take them for testing.

So if someone says you broke the seal, the warranty is void, remind them it is your machine, your right and you will gladly meet them in court if they choose. Since they know they will lose, and get stuck with your legal fees too, they will honor it.

tsunali

tsunali

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks for all of the good suggestions. As far as the warrenty, the HP help desk had me take off the cover and there was no sticker to break. I do have a work repair code logged with them and the name of the tech. So, I am still covered there. I just wanted to get my documents off, so I can use them on my laptop while the desktop is in repair.

I will see if I can get a friend over with an extra tower. Otherwise, I guess I will have to take my chances with the tech people at HP and hope that they don't wipe the drive. Luckily, everything else was backed up and copied onto thumb drives. But, there is always something that we don't plan for. Like my motherboard committing suicide...

Thanks again everyone! :)

Edited by tsunali, 09 June 2009 - 08:59 AM.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

As far as the warrenty, the HP help desk had me take off the cover and there was no sticker to break.

The big makers were shamed into not using those some time ago. If you see any new PCs with those stickers, question the integrity of the makers - it is a scam.

tsunali

tsunali

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Just a quick note to Bill, the vet. Thanks for your service! I am a military brat from a family with a long line of military service. You all are greatly appreciated and deserve our gratitude. :)

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Oh Wow! Thanks! I really appreciate that. And as a brat myself, I know first hand, and appreciate the tremendous sacrifices family members make too. :)

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I would strongly suggest that you find a way to get your data off that drive before sending it to HP.
When they install a new main board, it will surely have different drivers associated with it. That means that the chance of your drive with the software and board drivers will most likely not work. They will most likely reformat and reload software.
That is unless they have a 100% exact same board available for the computer.

tsunali

tsunali

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks for the suggestion, 123Runner. I am going to try to find a way to do just that. Although I have been very good at backing my data up on thumb drives and external hard drives, the one time that I don't do it immediately bites me. Typical... (I love the graphic as I am now banging my head on my laptop.) :) Gotta love computers!!!

tsunali

tsunali

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
UPDATE Problem solved with this nifty little device called a 3 in 1 drive adapter!!! The data from the Vista hard drive was saved onto another computer and then transfered to a Western Digital storage device. That little 3 in 1 is a life saver and not expensive at all. Thanks to everyone for their advice, I do appreciate it! :)

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Great! Thanks for the followup.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Just for clarification, the policy here is to not advise doing anything that may void the warranty on a machine...including cutting any stickers or seals to gain access to hardware while the manufacturer's warranty is still in effect.