Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Want to build a comp and need help understanding RAM

• Please log in to reply

sulobaid

sulobaid

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Hi, i have been looking at the various parts and pieces online to build a computer and i believe i understand most of it, however i really have no idea what RAM timing or its latency means. If anyone could explain this to me that would be extremely helpful.

sulo

Advertisements

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
Read this article, kinda cool actually. Be sure to get ram that is compatible with your motherboard. Along with a cpu and case that are compatible with your motherboard. :)

sulobaid

sulobaid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Awsome, that article explained it really well. So far all the parts should be compatible, Im just virtually gathering everything in a list on Newegg....hopefully i will be able to afford to buy it all soon *sigh*. anyway thanks for the article

Sulo

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
Nice :)

If you want, you can post the list of the parts here sometime when you get done, and we'll all take a look at it. We always have good tips and suggestions. :)

When you get to buying, make sure you shop around. Newegg is definitely a great site, and popular, but not always cheapest. Make sure you check on other sites for cheaper prices. Some good ones are CompUSA, ZipZoomFly, TigerDirect, and OuletPC. There's also Ebay, but they can be unreliable. :)

Hope all goes well, Good Luck :)

-Jason