Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Disk Drive. Scary Sound.

• Please log in to reply

MrFeenee

MrFeenee

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
so I was installing diablo II onto my computer, and the disk drive made a noise like the disk was scrapping against something (in a violently loud fashion). Any idea what that was?

Advertisements

OpenOutcome

OpenOutcome

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
Oh man.. another topic. Boy, don't you have anything better to do?! Lol jk.. Go Link removed and check it out. My disk drive make that noise sometimes too. Pretty sure it's the rotary arm that moves the lazer, grinding against the, like, rail thing. Doesn't make any scratches, just a loud noise. Maybe I'll get to fixing it someday. WHEN I GET SOME SLEEP. :) Night' fo real.

-Jason

Diablo II = Awesome btw.

Edited by Essexboy, 09 June 2009 - 01:23 PM.

MrFeenee

MrFeenee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Ha. ok, cool. Seriously thanks again.

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts

and the disk drive made a noise like the disk was scrapping against something(in a violently loud fashion). Any idea what that was?

Turn off the computer:

Unplug the computer

Open the side panel

Unplug the HDD molex connector

then power up if the sound is gone then it was the HDD if not it is something else.
(and you need to continue investigating)

Once you determine if the HDD is the culprit then I would RMA with Newegg you only have so much time to do so... you are better changing it out with a new one. Just in case the problem gets worse later and you lose all your data.

there are many reasons that contribute to parts that are "problematic:" shipping and handling, defect in manufacture process

I'm sorry that you are having a problem with the drive...

Unfortunately it happens I received 2 out of 3 parts DOA when building 1 computer...

Good luck

Cbarnard