Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems playing Youtube (& similar) clips

• Please log in to reply

duncombe2

duncombe2

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
In recent days any clips I have downloaded from sites such as Youtube or Myspace will not play properly but keep stopping and starting. System details: Dell Dimension C521 PC, Athlon 2.60GHz, 2 GB RAM, 250GB HD, PC Pro, Speedtouch 330 modem. Any advice on what might be causing this would be appreciated but please avoid any very techy stuff as I won't understand it. Could this be a problem with out of date drivers ?
Ken

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Do they play properly when you watch them on Youtube?
What player are you using to view the downloaded videos?

Try VLC: http://www.videolan.org/vlc/
Also give me an Everest Report. Click on Everest Instructions in my sig, and follow the directions to post a log.

duncombe2

duncombe2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi
Apologies for the delay in replying. The problem arises when streaming videos from sites like Youtube and Myspace. The videos stop and start when playing instead of playing smoothly. However if I save the clip to my hard drive it plays normally and all my existing saved videos play ok. It's just the streaming which doesn't work. Pic sites such as flickr are also slow to download pics and some internet sites seem slower than normal to load. I recently had problems after trying to install a product called Magix, which is for transferring VHS tapes to the computer. I could not get it to work and sent it back for a refund but while I was trying to get it to work Magix customer service told me I had some out of date drivers and gave me some links to click on for replacement drivers. Things seemed to go wrong after that. Have tried system restore without success. Do you still want everest report? Thanks for your help. BTW I'm not good with the tech stuff (I'm an old fart of 62 !!) so please avoid using tech jargon if possible when you reply. Ken

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
I will keep everything as simple as I can and provide clear instructions.
Please provide the Everest Report, and tell me the make and model of your computer. Like (for example) Dell Latitude 3945 or HP 760n. You should find it on your computer's manual, and on the computer's case.

duncombe2

duncombe2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
When I click on the Everest instructions link the page tells me that Lavalys has discontinued the free edition. Does this mean that I can no longer download it or that I can download it but Everest won't support it. Also the page shows 3 items under the downloads heading which are:
Majorgeeks (USA)
Majorgeeks (USA2)
intermode Australia

Can I use any of these links as I am in UK.
Ken

duncombe2

duncombe2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Sorry I forgot to give you my system details: Dell Dimension C521, AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000 2.60GHz, 2GB RAM, 250GB HD , 256MB graphics, XP Pro, AVG(free) AV and Spybot. I normally use a Speedtouch 330 modem but have also tried a Thomson router to see if that made any difference - it didn't.
Ken

hawklord

hawklord

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
whats your broadband speed ?

if you have a slow line then you will see the clip buffering, maybe noticing that the 'load' line is not moving,

try pausing the clip for a few seconds to see if it makes any difference

also who supplies your internet

you can check your speed if you click here

i'm with tiscali (less said about that, the better) and that was happening a lot till i upgraded my package

duncombe2

duncombe2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I have carried out a speed test and there is something clearly very wrong with my connection. I am getting reported speeds of 0.17 Mbps download (yes download !!) and 0.22 Mbps upload and ping of 89. These are not mistyped figures !! My service is supposed to be 'up to 8.0 Mbps per sec'. My ISP is freedom2surf who, since I joined them have been taken over by Pipex, then Tiscali and just recently by TalkTalk. I know what a terrible reputation Tiscali has but I think they just left the original freedom2surf structure in place and didn't interfere too much. Anyway the service has been ok. TalkTalk have quite a good reputation.
Unfortunately freedom2surf customer service is closed at weekends and I am out on Monday morning. I will contact them Monday afternoon and will let you know how I get on then. BTW you were asking about buffering - yes I do get it but at those speeds I guess it's not surprising !! Thanks for your help. Ken

hawklord

hawklord

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
i'm on the 'up to 8mbps' as well, i was getting around 1mbps and was told to use drtcp by the people in india and told by the nice helpfull chap that i need to take my pc back to the shop as its an operating system issue (i built my own and run linux - drtcp won't work),

i believe that the takeover has not been finalised yet, so the tiscali max helpdesk in scotland (not the india one) is the one to contact,
5 mins on the phone, one button switched by the engineer and i've been stable at around 6˝,

there is also tiscali broadband help and support here

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Those speeds are slow. Call your ISP and have them look at your connection.

Can you give me an Everest Report. Click on Everest Instructions in my sig, and follow the directions to post a log.

Advertisements

duncombe2

duncombe2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Again my apologies for the delay in replying, I am away from the computer at times and cannot always respond quickly.
Re the request for an everest report can you please clarify if this is still available and if I can do it from uk. In my previous message I said:
--------------------------------------------------------------------
"When I click on the Everest instructions link the page tells me that Lavalys has discontinued the free edition. Does this mean that I can no longer download it or that I can download it but Everest won't support it. Also the page shows 3 items under the downloads heading which are:
Majorgeeks (USA)
Majorgeeks (USA2)
intermode Australia

Can I use any of these links as I am in UK."
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Ken

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts

Magix customer service told me I had some out of date drivers and gave me some links to click on for replacement drivers

What drivers? Do you remember?
There is definitely something wrong with your connection.
Did you try to reset modem/router?

duncombe2

duncombe2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
The (3 ) driver details suggested by Magix were:

1) Driver for 256MB ATI Radeon X1300
http://driverdownloa...A03_R162009.exe
2) Driver for NVIDIA nForce PCI System Management
http://driverdownloa...tional_whql.exe
3) Driver for Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller
http://driverdownloa...tional_whql.exe

Magix also have their own system check which they asked me to run.I emailed them the results but they did not comment on them. I gave up on Magix customer service.

I did all 3, or at least I think I did but as I am not good with tech stuff it is quite possible I got it wrong. I have tried the connection with both my existing (speedtouch) modem and a Thomson router. Will be contacting my ISP Monday (closed w/e). I have to go off line now and it will be about 12 hours before I can get back on. Thanks for your interest. Ken

duncombe2

duncombe2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
One final thing today - here is the Everest report:

--------[ EVEREST Home Edition © 2003-2005 Lavalys, Inc. ]------------------------------------------------------------

Version EVEREST v2.20.405
Homepage http://www.lavalys.com/
Report Type Report Wizard
Computer KEN
Generator Ken Fleming
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.1.2600 (WinXP Retail)
Date 2009-06-14
Time 21:49

--------[ Summary ]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer:
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional
OS Service Pack Service Pack 3
DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
Computer Name KEN
User Name Ken Fleming

Motherboard:
CPU Type Unknown, 2600 MHz
Motherboard Name Unknown
Motherboard Chipset Unknown
System Memory 2048 MB
BIOS Type Award (12/09/06)

Display:
Video Adapter 256MB ATI Radeon X1300PRO Secondary (256 MB)
Video Adapter 256MB ATI Radeon X1300PRO (256 MB)
Monitor Plug and Play Monitor [NoDB] (15453545)

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter Modem #0 Line Playback
Audio Adapter SigmaTel Audio

Storage:
IDE Controller Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller
IDE Controller Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller
Disk Drive WDC WD2500JS-75NCB3 (232 GB, IDE)
Disk Drive Corsair Voyager Mini USB Device (7 GB, USB)
Disk Drive SAMSUNG HD103UI USB Device (931 GB, USB)
Optical Drive TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-H653A
SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Partitions:
C: (NTFS) 175546 MB (123672 MB free)
D: (NTFS) 59584 MB (59517 MB free)
G: (NTFS) 953867 MB (913666 MB free)
Total Size 1161.1 GB (1071.1 GB free)

Input:
Keyboard HID Keyboard Device
Mouse Logitech HID-compliant Optical Wheel Mouse

Network:
Network Adapter Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller (192.168.1.64)
Modem Conexant D850 56K V.9x DFVc Modem

Peripherals:
Printer Canon iP2500 series
Printer Fax
Printer FinePrint
Printer Microsoft XPS Document Writer
USB1 Controller Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller [NoDB]
USB2 Controller PCI Class USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller [NoDB]
USB Device Generic USB Hub
USB Device Logitech USB Optical Wheel Mouse
USB Device USB Human Interface Device
USB Device USB Mass Storage Device
USB Device USB Mass Storage Device

--------[ Sensor ]------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sensor Properties:
Sensor Type HDD

Temperatures:
WDC WD2500JS-75NCB3 40 °C (104 °F)

--------[ Debug - PCI ]-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
You can use any of the links even if you are in the UK. The USA means that anyone can download from it, but the server is in the USA.

Hawklord informed me about your ISP and it's bad reputation. This is an issue with your ISP and probably not your video card.