Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Nikon Transfer help please.

• Please log in to reply

exhibitrans

exhibitrans

• Pip
  • 7 posts
High all, I seem to have developed (no pun intended) a problem with my picture downloading.

I have Nikon Transfer, View and Capture NX installed on my computer. Up to date, all has been working well, but today, for the first time for a while, I wanted to download pictures from my camera to the computer and nowt happened.

Usually, just connecting and switching on the camera opens Nikon Transfer, but it didn't happen. I opened the programme manually. Still nothing. I un-installed and re-installed the software, still nothing. The computer doesn't seem to be detecting the camera at all. (BTW the USB port on the computer is OK). I connected the camera to my old computer and it started downloading to MS Picture manager, so I know there is no problem with the USB cable or the camera.

When Nikon Transfer opens, it should show the 'source' (ie the camera model) This used to happen, but didn't this time.

BTW, the camera is a Nikon D300

Any ideas anyone?

Edited by exhibitrans, 09 June 2009 - 06:31 AM.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I assume you are using Vista. I am not familiar with Vista, so I will be somewhat vague.

Have you tried another USB device in the computer?
Have you tried plugging the camera into another USB hub?

I assume that Vista has a device management area where you can look at all the devices (drives, video, monitors, etc) on the system. Have you looked there to see if they are all installed?

Be patient because someone more familiar with Vista will be along.

exhibitrans

exhibitrans

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Yes, sorry, I should have said I am using Vista.

Yes, I tried the printer in that USB port and tried it in another USB port. All OK there.

It connected with no problem to my old computer.

I did look at the device manager, but found nothing there for cameras or portable devices. Do you think I may, somehow, have deleted something I shouldn't have?

How can I get a device manager for portable devices? I can only assume that there was one there before, but I must have buggered it!

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

Any ideas anyone?

Have you rebooted the computer? Many USB issues can be cleared with a simple reboot. Hopefully, USB3.0, due out later this year, will be everything USB2.x was supposed to be. :)

Since you can call up the program manually, but still not see the device, I would guess the device driver has issues. But first, after the reboot, go through the menu options in Nikon Transfer, View and Capture NX to make sure you don't have some auto-detect option disabled. I note Nikon has updated versions of Nikon Transfer, View and Capture NX programs, and a firmware update for that Nikon on their download page. You might try downloading and reinstalling the programs and see if that helps. I am not a firm (no pun intended either) believer in updating firmware (to include the motherboard BIOS) just because a new version is out, so I would hold off on flashing the camera itself for now, and hope that installing the latest program versions will fix it.

BTW - I don't think this has anything to do with Vista itself.

exhibitrans

exhibitrans

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I have tried rebooting. No luck.

My Nikon progs are all up to date.

It's a worry that when opened N. Transfer does not show the 'D300' under 'source'.

I am baffled!!!

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
If me, I would uninstall everything Nikon, reboot, and start over as if a new camera out of the box - if sure that USB port is working fine.

Edited by Digerati, 09 June 2009 - 09:41 AM.

exhibitrans

exhibitrans

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
OK, I will give that a go.

BTW, the camera firmware is not up to date, could that be part/all of the problem?

Edited by exhibitrans, 09 June 2009 - 09:50 AM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
The firmware on the camera should not be an issue because you were able to connect before.

I also believe that you most likely have a setting issue. And since you tried another USB component in the suspect port and it worked, that also pretty much eliminates Vista or the computer hardware.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
My general rule about updating firmware is this, I don't do it unless, (1) the update specifically updates a problem I am having, (2) the update addresses a security issue, or (3) my current version is corrupt. I don't see where any of those apply to you so I would not try the firmware update until you have tried everything else. If something goes wrong while "flashing" firmware (a power outage is a good example) it may turn your camera into a paperweight.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
That is my rule also! There is to many chances for things to go wrong. An incorrect bios flash will (and has) rendered a board worthless. There are alot of users on this forum (and others) that flash bios (and anything else), because they believe it will fix the issue. And generally it does not fix the issue.

exhibitrans

exhibitrans

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks folks. I will clear off all Nikon progs, run a check on everything, re-boot and re-install all the Nikon progs as you suggest.

Thanks for now, I'll let you know if successful or come back crying! :)